GoPro Hero 4 Entry Camera....suggestions.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Several customers have been asking questions about the GoPro Hero 4 cameras for Christmas. Due to the low price of the Hero 4 entry camera, it has become popular among all of the questions. I would like to offer some points that you may or may not know, that perhaps shows that this camera is not best suited for recording softball games:

1.) There is no method to remotely communicate with the camera. This in and of itself is not a deal breaker, as I generally turn off all wireless communication to save battery life and reduce heat. However, it does make setting up the camera a pain.

2.) No port on the back to add an LCD. So in light of the no Wifi to remotely see what the camera is recording, this is kind of a big deal. Especially when mounting this camera to a fence, you really want to see what you are recording so you can make sure you don't have a big fence wire right in the middle of the view. Also, because the camera is so small, it really is kind of hard to make sure you are recording level and are including the whole field in the shot.

3.) Wide field of view is the only option. This also is a problem because in most cases, wide field of view will cause the fence to be in the shot, even if you rest the camera against the fence. You can probably crop the video in post production, but it is a lot of work, and will reduce the overall quality of the final video.

Aside from those items, the camera is really tempting. The price is right and the quality is far better than most entry level 1080p cameras. In fact, I may grab one anyhow as we started producing multi-camera video of games this year and plan to do more next year. We are thinking of adding some candid video in the shots, like dugout or rounding 3rd after an HR (I will not be that Fox camera man that leads the batter down the baseline....but it is tempting).

Anyhow, I thought I would share my findings. I hope you find it useful.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2014
What would be most affordable recommended GoPro camera to use for videoing softball? Was looking to mount on back stop to get some good pics of DD hitting. I saw people commenting on previous posts about WiFi recording....is this something I can sit on the bleachers and operate camera? New to all this technology!

Mar 24, 2014
Follow up to my previous post, are there any other cameras out there that would be comparable to the GoPro?

May 10, 2013
USA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3F0GLU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition Adventure Camera

This is the one I have. It connects to my phone and I can sit in the bleachers and start and stop the video, change all of the settings while sitting there. It does drain the battery on your phone quickly but I bought an external phone charger at wal-mart for $12 and it kept my phone at 100% for 4 games straight.

I don't work for LinkSpyder but I really recommend their fence mount and all of the recommendations they make for setting up. All of the videos for setting everything up are good to.

@Josh Greer, has LinkSpyder thought about some kind of shade mount for the fence mount? Since I have had the LinkSpyder I have been thinking about making something to keep sun directly off of the equipment mounted.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
(Sorry, out of town baseball practice today...just got home)

What would be most affordable recommended GoPro camera to use for videoing softball? Was looking to mount on back stop to get some good pics of DD hitting. I saw people commenting on previous posts about WiFi recording....is this something I can sit on the bleachers and operate camera? New to all this technology!

The "most affordable" is a hard question to answer. The most cost effective model at this point, in my opinion, would be the GoPro 3+ Silver. You can find this somewhere between $200-$250 if you do your homework; cheaper if you want a used one someone dumped on Ebay because they wanted the 4. With that said, I think the Hero 4 Silver is the best bang for the buck. It certainly is more money, but a much better camera, with the included LCD screen (something I think you really need in this environment). Check out the graphic on our equipment page for the pro's and cons' of each GoPro camera:
http://www.lynkspyder.com/equipment.html

As for wireless, all versions of the 3, 3+, and 4 (except the basic 4 mentioned in the original post) are WiFi enabled. This allows you to control the camera from a smartphone or tablet App. With that said, I am not a fan of GoPro wireless. All of my cameras suffer from unplanned shutdowns when I use wifi. This more than likely has to do with heat, but I have the issue even when recording inside volleyball games on a cold gym. I leave wifi off and manually start and stop the cameras between innings; or let them record the entire games.

Follow up to my previous post, are there any other cameras out there that would be comparable to the GoPro?

There are many other cameras that our customers are using. Perhaps the number 2 camera that people are using are the various Sony Action cams. They require our adapter bracket because they are larger cameras than the GoPro, but are still very good cameras.

On the low end of the cost scale, and perhaps relyability, are the SJ4000 and SJ5000. They are clearly off shore knock offs of a GoPro, but are gaining ground in the states. I can't speak to their use, but know that a couple of customers have given them a shot.

Lastly, and I don't advise this for most people yet, we are going to play with a Poloroid Cube this summer. Not sure how long Poloroid will continue to invest in this market, but it is a small device that takes decent video. And for $99 (without their expensive accessories) it is certainly worth a try.

I don't work for LinkSpyder but I really recommend their fence mount and all of the recommendations they make for setting up. All of the videos for setting everything up are good to.

@Josh Greer, has LinkSpyder thought about some kind of shade mount for the fence mount? Since I have had the LinkSpyder I have been thinking about making something to keep sun directly off of the equipment mounted.

Thanks for the plug, French.

We have looked at an "awning" design a couple of times, but the costs get to be pretty ridiculous for the purpose. When the sun is really shining hard on on the camera, we just place a hat over the camera. Protects it from the sun and actually helps mute some of the crowd audio. Certainly not high tech, but an inexpensive solution.
HatShade.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2014
Thanks for the comments and the Lynkspyder mount looks great.

Does one normally record the entire game and edit out what they are looking for? Seems like a lot of storage space if playing in a softball tournament and go deep on Sunday's.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Thanks for the comments and the Lynkspyder mount looks great.

Does one normally record the entire game and edit out what they are looking for? Seems like a lot of storage space if playing in a softball tournament and go deep on Sunday's.

Just depends on what you are wanting to do. I record all of our games. I start and stop between innings so there is not wasted space. Some parents use their setup to record only their child at bat. You are correct, it does in fact tie up quite a bit of storage, but storage is relatively cheap these days. You can get a decent 2TB (that's 2000GB) external drive for around a $100.

I love my Ion Air Pro 2. $149 with WiFi. A simple adapter will make all of the GoPro mounts usable.

We tried working with Ion to make sure our bracket was compatible with their product. They had agreed to send us a demo, but never did, and will no longer return our emails. However, based on some rough dimensions we have taken in a popular "box store", I believe all Ion products will work using our adapter bracket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13