Fastpitch hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
the proper way to make an adjustment is however you can make an adjustment at that moment. I don’t really teach adjustments. That’s for the hitters body to determine. Not me. My job is to get them to a position so they can adjust. Let them be an athlete. Use whatever resources you have left to get the job done. Here’s a better example. Yours aren’t really comparable.

View attachment 23794

Edit: I don’t really see a difference between this and the young lady’s adjustment. She adjusted sooner? They’re both hitting off the front foot. Both of their heads come forward after foot plant. This guy does it w more stability I guess. Being grown and a man can do that. .this is a ‘good piece of hitting’ to me.
I bet some(along with what you mentioned) of the differences you see between Bogaerts and the girl can be attributed to how they move out when they don’t have to make an adjustment.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Also In this example, would you advise the hitter to do anything different?

not sure I would say a thing. That’s his way. Barry will sit more, stay connected longer etc etc. I had a swing from my dd gifed that had the same type pitch and adjusted basically the same way as bogaerts. Think it’s on my old phone. I’ll try to find it.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I love seeing adjustments from my DD like the young lady that W=W posted. When my DD makes those types of adjustments it confirms that she is moving the way that I prefer to see her move. Is it her “A” swing, no but IMO a hitters “B” swing or adjustment swings are typically more informative than their “A” swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
the proper way to make an adjustment is however you can make an adjustment at that moment. I don’t really teach adjustments. That’s for the hitters body to determine. Not me. My job is to get them to a position so they can adjust. Let them be an athlete. Use whatever resources you have left to get the job done. Here’s a better example. Yours aren’t really comparable.

View attachment 23794

Edit: I don’t really see a difference between this and the young lady’s adjustment. She adjusted sooner? They’re both hitting off the front foot. Both of their heads come forward after foot plant. This guy does it w more stability I guess. Being grown and a man can do that. .this is a ‘good piece of hitting’ to me.

Correct WW !! Get them into a leveraged fyb position and adjust from there.

May 12, 2016
Correct WW !! Get them into a leveraged fyb position and adjust from there.
Is Lunging and Dragging the bat the result of hitting from a leveraged FYB position? Bonds gets there, sits and launches from a leveraged position.. vs the other examples (lunging and bat drag). W says they all do it differently, some will drag the bat, some will lunge and that's ok. Again hitters will get bat to ball whatever way possible if the situation calls for it(hit and run, badly fooled etc) and I agree with that, but adjusting is part of the hitting process, and just like hitting a well timed pitch, lunging and dragging the bat is not the most efficient/effective way to swing a bat.

@Work=wins I don't understand the purpose of getting to a FYB leveraged position if all you got left is bat drag and lunging to adjust. Shouldn't the purpose of getting to this position to be able to sit and launch with balance and control instead of pure desperation and a break down in mechanics? Why is it ok(according to you) for hitter a and b to drag and lunge when they could sit and launch from a controlled leveraged position like hitter c?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Is Lunging and Dragging the bat the result of hitting from a leveraged FYB position? Bonds gets there, sits and launches from a leveraged position.. vs the other examples (lunging and bat drag). W says they all do it differently, some will drag the bat, some will lunge and that's ok. Again hitters will get bat to ball whatever way possible if the situation calls for it(hit and run, badly fooled etc) and I agree with that, but adjusting is part of the hitting process, and just like hitting a well timed pitch, lunging and dragging the bat is not the most efficient/effective way to swing a bat.

@Work=wins I don't understand the purpose of getting to a FYB leveraged position if all you got left is bat drag and lunging to adjust. Shouldn't the purpose of getting to this position to be able to sit and launch with balance and control instead of pure desperation and a break down in mechanics? Why is it ok(according to you) for hitter a and b to drag and lunge when they could sit and launch from a controlled leveraged position like hitter c?

Lunging is a result of not getting into a leveraged fyb position before whipping the barrel. Dragging is typically caused by the arms swinging around the body vs establishing a hand pivot and contracting the core.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

i think whats missing is the fact that they could adjust. That’s FYB. Thats staying in posture. That’s staying long through the zone. Maybe they were over committed at these points and times. Deeper in the process? Recognized later? Aren’t as strong/stable as others? As long as you don’t see these ‘flaws’ in normal timed swings, it doesn’t matter to me. Maybe it’s a movement restriction. Mobility and lack thereof matters as well. Looser players can move more and probably time better or longer and tighter players have shorter timing windows. I think theres more than just this or that, and everyone needs to adjust the same way. It just isn’t that way, the video is proof of that. imho.

May 12, 2016
i think whats missing is the fact that they could adjust. That’s FYB. Thats staying in posture. That’s staying long through the zone. Maybe they were over committed at these points and times. Deeper in the process? Recognized later? Aren’t as strong/stable as others? As long as you don’t see these ‘flaws’ in normal timed swings, it doesn’t matter to me. Maybe it’s a movement restriction. Mobility and lack thereof matters as well. Looser players can move more and probably time better or longer and tighter players have shorter timing windows. I think theres more than just this or that, and everyone needs to adjust the same way. It just isn’t that way, the video is proof of that. imho.
Hitters have to adjust all the time, and as pitching gets better, even more so. And if part of their adjustment is Bat Drag or Lunging, then that's an issue that needs to be addressed. It's no different than identifying these flaws in their regular on time swing, if a hitter uses bat drag and lunging to adjust(that's their adjustment mechanism) then they will be at a disadvantage. I'm really surprised with your view on this topic, I thought your approach was all about getting to a place of leverage(FYB), being balanced and ready to launch at any pitch speed without mechanics going down the toilet.

I mean this
gCwrFsM.gif

or this
KoY006c.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I wanted to reply to @Rolling Hard about posture and getting into the glutes. I think there is a miscommunication there w how to turn on the glutes. You can have a very uprightish posture and activate your posterior chain pretty easily. The checkpoint is not pushing the hips back (and getting the chest over the plate). That’s the result in reality.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414