Fastpitch hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Efastball, do you work with hitters ?

UZSM2ou.gif

Let me just say Jeter let go of the hinge angle, stops and then swings. He hit lots of opposite way, inside out swings.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
What swing are you referring to stops then swings ?

He doesn’t really stop, he just starts to lose the hinge angle and then holds on with a pulling action that hit a large number of hits to the right side.

edit: Derek was a master of the inside out swing. That can create a very pushy swing.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
so like I said there are different ways to adjust. Dropping the elbow underneath is but one way. That’s using the arms. With efastballs Manny clip he using his hands to adjust. With teddy’s posture change he’s using his torso. It’s really that simple. I’ve been saying it since we started this thread and since before that. These are all ways to adjust. Just like an arm bar on an outside pitch, or a plunging of the arms/hands down to disconnect on a low pitch. Are they optimal, depends on what situation the hitter is in. I still say the young lady I posted before was making an adjustment to a slower than expected low pitch, and hit a triple. if she was lunging she woulda rolled over or popped up, IMO.

as far as losing leverage w the the back elbow. That’s nonsense. You actually gain more top hand torque and lag. You might lose a bit of time, so we should all become oppo hitters to second base? Back the ball up and hit it on the ground? Vertical bat angle matters in that equation as well. The pitch in question w my dd was a high inside pitch and she uses a closed stance w a flatter angle, gotta get out front to square that. So if she let it get deeper she would have to chicken wing it. That’s not optimal for her.she doesn’t have the upper body strength of Trout. Not all players possess the same strength attributes in all body parts. Girls are weaker w their upper body’s so they must use their middle and lower half’s better or more.

but either way I stand by what I said earlier. None of those players I posted have flaws. They’re just making adjustments to their situations. It’s called hitting in my book.

May 12, 2016
so like I said there are different ways to adjust. Dropping the elbow underneath is but one way. That’s using the arms. With efastballs Manny clip he using his hands to adjust. With teddy’s posture change he’s using his torso. It’s really that simple. I’ve been saying it since we started this thread and since before that. These are all ways to adjust. Just like an arm bar on an outside pitch, or a plunging of the arms/hands down to disconnect on a low pitch. Are they optimal, depends on what situation the hitter is in. I still say the young lady I posted before was making an adjustment to a slower than expected low pitch, and hit a triple. if she was lunging she woulda rolled over or popped up, IMO.

as far as losing leverage w the the back elbow. That’s nonsense. You actually gain more top hand torque and lag. You might lose a bit of time, so we should all become oppo hitters to second base? Back the ball up and hit it on the ground? Vertical bat angle matters in that equation as well. The pitch in question w my dd was a high inside pitch and she uses a closed stance w a flatter angle, gotta get out front to square that. So if she let it get deeper she would have to chicken wing it. That’s not optimal for her.she doesn’t have the upper body strength of Trout. Not all players possess the same strength attributes in all body parts. Girls are weaker w their upper body’s so they must use their middle and lower half’s better or more.

but either way I stand by what I said earlier. None of those players I posted have flaws. They’re just making adjustments to their situations. It’s called hitting in my book.
Agree with 99% what you are saying here... however :)

Nobody on here is saying these hitters aren't making adjustments. At the same time, bat drag is still evident, lunging is still evident. Do you teach this is the proper way to make an adjustment? Or do you teach getting in an optimal position so the hitter can make an adjustment with balance and authority?

EDIT: I'm not saying it's wrong for a hitter to use any method possible to get to a ball in a desperate situation, but most times when this happens we do see flaws like bat drag, armsy swings, lunging etc.

1630767329282.png 1630767393279.png 1630767463471.png

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Agree with 99% what you are saying here... however :)

Nobody on here is saying these hitters aren't making adjustments. At the same time, bat drag is still evident, lunging is still evident. Do you teach this is the proper way to make an adjustment? Or do you teach getting in an optimal position so the hitter can make an adjustment with balance and authority?

EDIT: I'm not saying it's wrong for a hitter to use any method possible to get to a ball in a desperate situation, but most times when this happens we do see flaws like bat drag, armsy swings, lunging etc.

View attachment 23791 View attachment 23792 View attachment 23793

the proper way to make an adjustment is however you can make an adjustment at that moment. I don’t really teach adjustments. That’s for the hitters body to determine. Not me. My job is to get them to a position so they can adjust. Let them be an athlete. Use whatever resources you have left to get the job done. Here’s a better example. Yours aren’t really comparable.

1630769212770.gif

Edit: I don’t really see a difference between this and the young lady’s adjustment. She adjusted sooner? They’re both hitting off the front foot. Both of their heads come forward after foot plant. This guy does it w more stability I guess. Being grown and a man can do that. .this is a ‘good piece of hitting’ to me.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
the proper way to make an adjustment is however you can make an adjustment at that moment. I don’t really teach adjustments. That’s for the hitters body to determine. Not me. My job is to get them to a position so they can adjust. Let them be an athlete. Use whatever resources you have left to get the job done. Here’s a better example. Yours aren’t really comparable.

View attachment 23794
My examples are extreme, they show hitters in desperate situations, hit and run for example. The third pic shows a hitter swinging at a pitch out in a hit and run situation. Believe it or not, the hitter did his job, the catcher air mailed the ball into CF. I agree hitters must use every ounce of athletic ability given the circumstance. But that doesn’t mean that there aren’t flaws in their swing when they do it. For you to say no bat drag exists because a hitter is adjusting is nuts :). It’s like saying the river did not rise 3 feet because there was an extreme amount of rain.

May 12, 2016

View attachment 23794

Edit: I don’t really see a difference between this and the young lady’s adjustment. She adjusted sooner? They’re both hitting off the front foot. Both of their heads come forward after foot plant. This guy does it w more stability I guess. Being grown and a man can do that. .this is a ‘good piece of hitting’ to me.
Also In this example, would you advise the hitter to do anything different?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12