Fastpitch hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I concede that any hitting students that are 6'7" 280 lbs. may not require an optimal swing. :)

200w.gif

May 12, 2016
A while back, someone - I believe it was @fanboi22 - posted an idea that I believe works better than simply "elbow in front of the knob/hands" to help define bat drag. The idea was to run an imaginary line between the front part of the shoulder and the knob of the bat. If the elbow crosses that line at any point, then you are in bat drag territory.

Instead of looking at 2-dimensional pics, try that geometry yourself with a bat in your hands. It is pretty hard to get your elbow out in front of that imaginary line and, when a hitter does it, you see the elbow waaaaay out front. On the other hand, it's very easy to "slot the elbow" with the hands remaining relatively stationary (near the shoulder/armpit) without crossing, or even getting anywhere near, that line.

The various swings posted in this thread - including pro hitters - that people are calling bat drag, are not bat drag if you view it this way (even though they may kind of look like it from certain camera angles).
This is bat drag, regardless how slice it or what angle you look at. IMO, Mud's description of it makes most sense.
1630686048060.png

May 12, 2016
I concede that anyone's hitting students that are 6'7" 280 lbs. may not require an optimal swing. :)
Back to this debate, with todays equipment and 200 ft fields... fastpitch hitters don't need an "optimal technical" swing if they are regularly barreling up the ball. I'm willing to bet GCG's DD is probably very successful with that swing, of course that's off a tee, there's a timing aspect and mental approach which are equally as important.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
'Successful' swings have to go through the sports funnel (travel teams, HS teams, college teams). Your odds are better as you go through the funnel if your swing is optimal from the start.

May 12, 2016
'Successful' swings have to go through the sports funnel (travel teams, HS teams, college teams). Your odds are better as you go through the funnel if your swing is optimal from the start.
Optimal and being technically perfect are two different things. People are different, they move different, some have more upper body strength, some lower, some have fast twitch muscles, some don't etc etc. Some hitters will have more success with a swing that is optimal for them, and it may not be viewed as perfectly technical.
gif (94).gif
We have to be open minded and not try to fit everybody in one mold.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes