ERA Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2020
If a pitcher, in the first game of the season, throws 2 innings and gives up 2 earned runs in a 20-3 win that was run ruled after the 3rd inning (another pitcher threw the 3rd inning), how can her ERA be 7.00?

May 17, 2012
If you ever see box scores from relievers that give up runs their ERA's are really large numbers as they pitch to so few batters.

ERA is a horrible stat....

Apr 14, 2022
What is her WHIP for that game? If I can only look at ERA and WHIP, I think WHIP tells a better story.

the sum of a pitcher's walks and hits, divided by his total innings pitched.
I generally agree, but depends on skill level and sample size. Top skill level whip is a good stat because the # of extra batters faced from errors is low. Lower levels that can be high.
On a large enough sample size (like a year) I prefer ERA. The “luck” factor in era should be reduced. Some pitchers just better with runners on and have higher gb rates.

I still value the win loss as well.

May 18, 2019
I generally agree, but depends on skill level and sample size. Top skill level whip is a good stat because the # of extra batters faced from errors is low. Lower levels that can be high.
On a large enough sample size (like a year) I prefer ERA. The “luck” factor in era should be reduced. Some pitchers just better with runners on and have higher gb rates.

I just recently learned about FIP. That could also have application for the error prone team.

Oct 4, 2018

Yeah, it's all one big picture and the more stats the more complete the picture.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414