ERA Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
Errors have no bearing on WHIP. Unless the implication is that more errors lead to longer innings which can lead to more walks and hits. That is true, however, the response to that is that the best pitchers overcome the bad defense with more strikeouts.

There's no real way to calculate FIP for any level of softball outside of (maybe) NCAA. You don't have the FIP constant, but I also am not sure some of the numbers in the calculation would apply to any level of softball since they were engineered for Major League pitching.
That was the implication. Exaggerated example.
Pitcher A 2 hits 2 bb 4 innings 0 errors 0 runs 0 earned 4k. 4 hits 16 batters. .250 oba. Whip 1.0 era 0. K/7 7 FIP 2.7
Pitcher B 3 hits 3 bb 4 innings 6 errors 3 runs 0 earned 6k. 6 hits 24 batters .250 oba. Whip 1.5 era 0. k/7 10.5 FIP 2.45
In this example each pitcher pitched exactly the same. The only stat that shows that is era.
Defensive skill level can very widely, not to mention great defense taking hits away.
I agree with the assessment on FIP. Be careful using mlb metrics to other levels.

May 18, 2019
Errors have no bearing on WHIP. Unless the implication is that more errors lead to longer innings which can lead to more walks and hits. That is true, however, the response to that is that the best pitchers overcome the bad defense with more strikeouts.

There's no real way to calculate FIP for any level of softball outside of (maybe) NCAA. You don't have the FIP constant, but I also am not sure some of the numbers in the calculation would apply to any level of softball since they were engineered for Major League pitching.

That was the implication. Exaggerated example.
Pitcher A 2 hits 2 bb 4 innings 0 errors 0 runs 0 earned 4k. 4 hits 16 batters. .250 oba. Whip 1.0 era 0. K/7 7 FIP 2.7
Pitcher B 3 hits 3 bb 4 innings 6 errors 3 runs 0 earned 6k. 6 hits 24 batters .250 oba. Whip 1.5 era 0. k/7 10.5 FIP 2.45
In this example each pitcher pitched exactly the same. The only stat that shows that is era.
Defensive skill level can very widely, not to mention great defense taking hits away.
I agree with the assessment on FIP. Be careful using mlb metrics to other levels.
Assuming the person running game changer scores all 6 errors as errors;)

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Agree, especially with metrics that use constants that are chosen because of MLB's specific run environment.

In this case, however, there's those constants but also the fact that you literally just don't have a FIP constant for HS or travel softball. It might even be challenging to figure it out for NCAA. Could maybe come up with a P5 number though.

May 18, 2019
Agree, especially with metrics that use constants that are chosen because of MLB's specific run environment.

In this case, however, there's those constants but also the fact that you literally just don't have a FIP constant for HS or travel softball. It might even be challenging to figure it out for NCAA. Could maybe come up with a P5 number though.
It isn't perfect for sure but as a relative compare the constants cancel and are irrelevant. What I've been chewing on is the best stat to evaluate pitchers with different qualities of defense behind them. My DD went from a defense that required her to get ~4 outs per inning to ~2.5 so I'm intrigued on how to isolate that. It gets even harder with different levels of competition and scorekeeper variability. I mostly use WHIP right now but also has its flaws in that regard as does ERA.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The biggest issue you are going to run into in youth sports and statistics is not the proper ones to use but the idiots that often run the GC account...
Know teams that do not record any ROE. Everything's a hit. So when Jenny emails the college coaches that she wants to come watch her play she slips in a line about hitting .448 on my Platinum Elite National team. Can't hurt. In reality she probably hitting .380 which is good but .448 sound so much better.

Apr 14, 2022
It isn't perfect for sure but as a relative compare the constants cancel and are irrelevant. What I've been chewing on is the best stat to evaluate pitchers with different qualities of defense behind them. My DD went from a defense that required her to get ~4 outs per inning to ~2.5 so I'm intrigued on how to isolate that. It gets even harder with different levels of competition and scorekeeper variability. I mostly use WHIP right now but also has its flaws in that regard as does ERA.
I track stats because I lack stats. When I look at how DD is pitching I use 2 items.
Winning % in starts vs team winning % in other games.
Whether or not she gets pulled.
The difference in competition can be great, but if they win a higher % of her games and she finishes what is started I know she is pitching pretty good.

May 18, 2019
I track stats because I lack stats. When I look at how DD is pitching I use 2 items.
Winning % in starts vs team winning % in other games.
Whether or not she gets pulled.
The difference in competition can be great, but if they win a higher % of her games and she finishes what is started I know she is pitching pretty good.
Our team has a bunch of streaky hitters. We can beat the best teams in the nation and occasionally lose to a mid level pgf. My DD"s losses have usually come when she's allowed 1 or 2 runs and those are almost completely independent of how she pitched. So I generally use K's/IP and Whip, but what I'm often trying to do is assess pitchers I haven't seen play before we play them which is harder

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles