Elite Team Plans in B, C, D & Rec Tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
I had an "interesting" experience over the weekend. I am an AC on a new 16U B team. This past weekend was these girls' first chance to play together as a team. We entered a tournament billed as a B, C, D & Rec Level tournament. However, low and behold, two elite teams with the goal of getting their players DI scholarships were in the pool as well. No doubt, when this newly formed B team ran into this elite team the results weren't pretty. Our girls found this experience quite demoralizing. So, WTF?!!! Why would an elite team enter a B and lower tournament and while would the tournament organizers let this happen?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Why would an elite team enter a B and lower tournament
baseball.et.8.small.jpg

For the 'pretty trophy''.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Only real reason to play is that it is the only tournament in town locally.

Smart tournament directors make these teams either play up an age division or separate them from the rest of the field on elimination day

Smart elite coaches just call the other elite coach and run a scrimmage day this tourney instead of entering - cheaper and better for both teams.

Otherwise yep - it is just a trophy hunt.

On occasion, an elite club that is having trouble winning wants to go beat up on a few teams to get their confidence back. I don't mind when teams do this as long as it doesn't become commonplace. A single local tournament could be good in this scenario, although the teams on the other end of the beatings may not agree.

As long as they don't do it more than once or twice a season, I'd just take my lumps and be happy to play against the better competition .... and be happy they aren't there next weekend. :)

May 13, 2012
Im good with the better tb teams playing down on occasion. It gives my dd something to strive for in getting better. I have seen them do this and give their #2 and 3pitchers a lot of circle time. They hold runner's with big leads etc. And with the weaker pitchers teams hold their own score wise.But for every one team like this there is three trophy hunTing.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
However, low and behold, two elite teams with the goal of getting their players DI scholarships ...?

What were the scores? There are lots of teams that state the goal of getting their players D1 scholarships. That doesn't necessarily mean much.

In this case, you have two 'elite' teams. Could be that they realize they'll be playing each other at least twice, and they'll use the other games as practice. So while it might be trophy hunting, it's just as likely to be a case of 'laziness' for lack of a better word. Tournament is convenient, don't have to travel far or spend much money, just a weekend on the field you can work on things, let your lesser pitchers play, move players into different positions, etc., while also getting a couple of 'real' games against the other elite.

Or it could just be trophy hunting. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44