Advice needed - 12U roster changes and playing time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2021
It is appropriate at the beginning of a season for a coach to address everybody what their plans to reach an end goal result are, however there are always going to be changes to things that have been happening... plus players/people have to do there part of the plan, and even the best plans may need adjustment as some parts of the plan fail... so plans may change. Think it's unreasonable to think a coach should have to explain everything they do or why.

Even knowing the reasons there could be more debate or frustration even if you knew why.

Focus on what you can control. Keep your daughter positive and purposeful if you want ask coach of her role on the team. Ok!

Not the time in a season to switch teams.

Appreciate the feedback here. Honestly, there was zero communication to parents about what to expect, what the goals were. She tried out at the org’s tryouts and was put on this team. I’ll take the blame for not making it my business to get more information - learning experience for me. But, to your point about not being the time to switch - completely agree, but tryouts for next year are in a few weeks and I want to avoid making the same mistakes.

I don’t expect the coach to explain every decision, far from it. This just seems odd and I’m trying to get my head around what’s really going on. My intent in posting here was to get impartial feedback to inform how I approach it with the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2022
First of all, it's good to hear that your daughter is excited to learn the sport.

Def some red flags there if I were a parent. Not that I'd expect to be told about every organizational decision, but to change up the roster out of the blue seems odd. I would ask the coach or head of the organization if it's standard procedure for them to change the team mid season, do they expect more changes, etc.? Also, for me, any organization with more that 2 teams per age group (1st year and 2nd year) is something that I would think twice about. Yes, there are exceptions, but that screams money grab to me.

There are a lot of teams out there to choose from, and there are different ways to run an organization. As always, ask the coach or hear of the organization what the expectations of the team/organization are. As much as we'd love it to just be "about the kids", the reality is that if teams aren't competitive they can't attract players, and if they can't get players they can't field teams. Good luck

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Did you attend practices? How are practices run? Are they quick paced and snappy? Are they getting good instruction? This is where true development occurs.

If I were a parent that was paying for only practice...Well you know. Geez. So Bizarre. Hey kid, You suck, therefore you don't get to play games.

So y'all formed in November and haven't played ANY games until recently? Does your area not have a spring season? So confusing. And tryouts are in a few weeks? Usually org tryouts start after the very last National tourney is played. Tryouts usually in Aug.

With all that said, 12U teams will have a huge range of skills and lots of lumps will be taken and given.

Take notes on other teams that y'all are playing. Where would your DD fit on those teams? How is the coaching? Watch and chat with parents on those teams.

I feel like there is a lot of missing information.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Appreciate the feedback here. Honestly, there was zero communication to parents about what to expect, what the goals were
So you joined a team without knowing those things? That's honestly very common lesson people learn.
For a lot of reasons it's best to know some sort of plan or goal the coach has with the team before joining.
Simply to know some sort of Direction the coach will be taking the team.
but tryouts for next year are in a few weeks
In a few weeks? Are you referring to after your summer schedule?

I want to avoid making the same mistakes.
Yes ask questions beforehand and if coaches don't want to communicate then you know you are with a person who's a non communicator and pick a different team with a coach who can communicate at least some sort of strategy outlined at the beginning. Just keep in mind that things do change
I don’t expect the coach to explain every decision, far from it. This just seems odd and I’m trying to get my head around what’s really going on. My intent in posting here was to get impartial feedback to inform how I approach it with the coach.

It's not odd it's travel ball lol

Coaches do what they want. People and families need to choose appropriately what they want.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Something you do know already about this team you have been on is that they have two separate squads. That is an indicator that the coach has one team that used to hopefully win while the other is still developing.

Otherwise there would just be one Squad with all players having the same goal. Even though the winning Squad still wants to keep developing obviously having a secondary Squad means some players are not getting the same playing opportunity.

Those type of teams generally have the shuffle issue you commented on. But no team is void of it.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
This isn't the way it should work, but things often turn like this. DD joined a new and very young 12U team that carried a small roster but was competitive (.500 or better) on the field from the start. DD wasn't quite lighting it up, but was at or better than team averages. She was certainly performing better than three of the four coaches kids...I was the scorekeeper. However, that didn't stop the HC from bringing in three new players that he thought were upgrades just prior to the last Fall tournament. He benched DD along with a couple of others and, even worse, simply ignored them. The signal couldn't have been clearer. We walked away swiftly after the team's early tournament exit while watching DD's replacement commit some costly errors. The team went from being a tight little group punching above its weight to a player merry-go-round that folded the following Spring.

Sometimes, these things are hard to see coming. However, if it's a USSSA registered team, the history of the team and manager can offer clues about whether a team is likely to be competitive and how players are treated. A high player turnover rate is always a warning sign.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The team went from being a tight little group punching above its weight to a player merry-go-round that folded the following Spring.
It's such a shame when the coach/people cannot see what they have right in front of them... to then go on a Merry-Go-Round.

Jul 14, 2018
I know there’s a lot of bad actors out there, but given the benefit of the doubt I kind of like the idea of four teams in one age level spread out over three skill levels.

If you have one A team, two B teams and one C/development team then moving players around could be very beneficial. A player struggling on the B team could drop to development where there’s not much pressure and the emphasis is on practice and skills. Kids who are killing it on a B team could move up and see how they fare against better competition.

Of course, every parent would get twisted up over their kids dropping a level. But if you can check your ego, it might be the best thing for the kids.

Speaking of ego, it would also serve the kids if the best coach was at the lowest level helping the newer players learn the fundamentals.

May 1, 2018
I know there’s a lot of bad actors out there, but given the benefit of the doubt I kind of like the idea of four teams in one age level spread out over three skill levels.

If you have one A team, two B teams and one C/development team then moving players around could be very beneficial. A player struggling on the B team could drop to development where there’s not much pressure and the emphasis is on practice and skills. Kids who are killing it on a B team could move up and see how they fare against better competition.

Of course, every parent would get twisted up over their kids dropping a level. But if you can check your ego, it might be the best thing for the kids.

Speaking of ego, it would also serve the kids if the best coach was at the lowest level helping the newer players learn the fundamentals.

Sounds like 4 teams....and then kids who just practice and don't play....which to me means: If that was my kid you owe me money back.

May 1, 2018
Realistically: They had try outs, took girls to make the teams and fill them up, with the plans of "upgrading" new girls as they came along. They will slowly weed out the first group of girls as new and better ones come along...... My advice, Run. And I hope you didn't pay for the whole season up front.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee