Does Pool Play Matter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Depends upon tournament format

And this is what I was trying to better understand because any tournaments DD has been in, pool play was important because it dictated the seeding and match-ups in bracket play.

I think time of year is also an important factor (ex. fall ball) where teams are newly formed in August and coaches are more inclined to freely move players around in tournaments to evaluate talent, etc.

Apr 1, 2010
At an ASA qualifier here a couple years ago they had rain Saturday and we're unable to start bracket play on Sunday morning. They awarded berths after the fact by pool record.

Yeah, that's happened to us before. One time was a real drag; the team was sitting in 4th, but with matchups we really liked. When Sunday cancelled, the girls went home with nothing. Ah, well.

Feb 17, 2014
Like many have said, it depends on the format of the tournament and your goals as a team.

If your pool play determines where you are seeded into the bracket, then they matter to a degree.

IMO, the more games you play the better your girls will get, so you want to play lots of games. You also want to play strong competition. So, get seeded high in the bracket so that you likely play more games and eventually play the better teams.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
And this is what I was trying to better understand because any tournaments DD has been in, pool play was important because it dictated the seeding and match-ups in bracket play.

I think time of year is also an important factor (ex. fall ball) where teams are newly formed in August and coaches are more inclined to freely move players around in tournaments to evaluate talent, etc.

Very rare around here to have seeding pool game tournaments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom