Do you want it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Do you want it?

When I was a kid, I played a lot of little league baseball. I wasn't very good back then, but I could have been if I had wanted it. The coach would put me in right field (when I wasn't keeping the bench warm) with the hopes that nothing would get hit towards me. When they did, I missed all the balls that were within my reach. Why?

I was afraid of failing.

My batting wasn't much better. At the beginning of the season I was put near the first batting position on the roster and my name was slowly moved back until I was last in the batting order. I was the one praying for the walk. I would hear a moan resonate throughout the dugout when I was next at bat with two outs and the game on the line.

One time at bat I abandoned all my dignity and I swung as hard as I could. I certainly couldn't do much worse than I was doing already. I didn't even realize I hit the ball until the coaches started screaming at me to RUN! The ball went over the outfielders' heads. It soared! I rounded first and second like a locomotive, hands to cheeks as clay popped off the back of my cleats.

I scorched the bases! As I rounded third, the 3B coach, my dad, slapped me on the back to congratulate me. His son finally hit the ball! And it was a MONSTER! But there was no fence on that field so the ball was live when dad touched me at third. I jumped onto home plate, so proud, so elated. That's when the ump said I had to go back to third due to coach's interference.

So, my dad took away the only home run I would ever have had.

That was my last year playing ball and I held on to a lot of regrets because of it. I regretted not going hard enough every play. I regretted not swinging at fastballs but instead hoping for the walk, then hoped the next batter could bring me home. I regretted not pestering my parents to take me to the batting cages. Basically, my enthusiasm for the game was waning. And it was a sad time for me. How quickly I gave up on myself.

That is why I coach.

Not that I'm currently a coach, I'm more of an administrator for my daughter's team, but I have coached little league for about 12 years. I wasn't good at the beginning but I learned from watching other successful coaches and got better every season. I learned to attend other coaches' practices to see what they taught and I went to their teams' games to show support. When I'm not at one of my two jobs, when I'm not volunteering for a worthy cause, when I'm not driving my daughter to practices, you can find me reading about baseball and softball. Not the stories, but the techniques and practical application of those techniques on the field and in the batter's box.

I take books out of the library, I study clips of MLB players to see if what people teach on the field is what the big-leaguers do. I am on four internet baseball/softball discussion sites. I have gone to coaching clinics, studied the catcher's bible DVD, had lengthy discussions with Austin Wasserman about throwing techniques, and am in the process of getting my ASA (Amateur Softball Association) Level One coaching certification. Why?

Because I need to have the correct answer if a player needs help. Because I don't want the kids to have to go through the pain of giving up on themselves like I did to myself. Because the players are worth it. And as long as they are worth it, then they deserve the best from me. And I will not fail to give my best, ever.

Only problem is...I cannot make the player "want" it. I didn't really "want" it when I was a 12 year old out in right field and I never realized that the decisions I made during a game would affect the way I handled life years later. But looking back, every time I DID want it, every time I DID give 100%, every time I did NOT give up on myself, I found that I succeeded in all areas of my life. I learned that success only touches those who deserve it. Those who seek it out. It will not come to the player that lets a grounder go to the outfield because it was hit a little too hard. It will not come to the batter praying for a walk. It will not come to the pitcher who wants to be taken out when the opponents start crushing it. It will not come to the catcher who lets a ball pass and lets the winning run score. And it will not come to those players that make excuses for missing plays or place blame on their team mates. And it is not for players who miss games, practices or team events. You have to WANT success.

Do you want it?

--Bill

Dec 20, 2012
I agree but you are talking about 12 yr old kids. You can't make them want anything. Some may not realize what they until they are 14, 18, 25... Who knows? Often it is the parents wanting what is best for the kids from their perspective, not the kid's. Give them your support regardless of how much they "want it", offer advice, and keep it fun. Truth be known my DD should have told me to screw off and quit ball on more than one occasion because I thought she didn't want it bad enough. More often than not she was wanting it, trying as hard as she could and trying to please dad. It was my ignorance believing she wasn't, hind sight is 20/20.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really enjoyed the OPs story and I appreciate his concern and dedication. I agree with what slignit and oilf are saying, but I would like to add something. While I agree that coaches cannot "make a player want it", they are in a unique situation. Whether they realize it or not, they do have the ability to take that "want" away. I have seen parents push their children so hard that the children decided they wanted nothing to do with it. I honestly feel that I was heading down that path with my own DD for a while. I have also seen other coaches make the journey so difficult for players that some have decided to quit or have come close to it.

We had two such players show up at our tryouts this fall. One was a long time family friend. After tryouts were over, her dad walked up to me and apologized. He stated that his DD had a very difficult year on the team she was just on and didn't enjoy softball anymore. They appreciated the opportunity but she just didn't want to do it. They cited the previous coach as the reason. The mom of the other player thanked me at the end of a fall tournament. She stated that her DD was nearly ready to quit softball as well (again because of a previous coach). But she was so happy that our coaches were giving her positive feedback and "believed" in her, that her interest in the sport was coming back.

I realize that the players on our team are doing it for different reasons. Some just want to have fun. Some want to learn. Some enjoy the competition. Some are just trying to make their parents happy. It is my goal to teach them as much as I can in a way that they will enjoy themselves and want to keep coming back. The last thing I want is to be the reason that someone gave up the sport. I believe the OP is on the right track. Control what you can, and do no harm.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
I have this argument with my husband all the time. He refuses to practice with our kids because "they don't want it."

They don't want what? Is my question. Of course they want to score and be good, and be liked and be an important part of the team. Who the heck doesn't? Whether debate or basketball, we all want to be good at something.

I do thoroughly believe that you can push way to hard when you can't separate your own self-worth from the child's performance. It is an age-old thing. It was here yesterday and will be here tomorrow. I "hopefully" realized this soon enough with softball and pitching and "hopefully" my DD will continue. I asked her what she like most and the answer was "hanging with friends." So I am just going to nurture that until "hopefully" it progresses to another level. If it does great, if it doesn't that is ok too.

I try to explain to my husband that it is hard to "want" something you don't quite understand. And well little girls don't understand a lot about sports. Older DD had her first basketball game yesterday and she did very well for only one practice. My husband then started to rattle off what she needed to fix. I just said that I didn't want to hear it. What they "want" is a loving supportive coach, parent, and peers to accept them and support what they "want" from it and for that to be ok.

Loved the post OP.

GG

May 27, 2013
Sadly, I was the one who wanted it, had it, but was afraid to take it.

ETA: That is my regret.

Jul 10, 2013
Let me sum this whole thing up with a great quote, By Tom Hanks

"It is suppose to be hard, The hard is what makes it great. If it wasn't hard than everyone would do it"

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
These posts are like a bunch of newbies out on a hike up a mountain. They walk up the mountain a ways, get a good view of the summit, and then quit and go back. They think, "Gee, I could have done it if I just would have tried harder". In fact, they were no more than 20% up the mountain, didn't have the right shoes, let alone the right gear, and left too late in the morning.

It takes a whole lot more than hard work and desire to be truly "good" at anything. Being "good" means better than 99.5% of the other people. And, hate to break it to you, you probably couldn't have been if you had worked at it 12 hours a day and 365 days a year.

When I was a kid, I played a lot of little league baseball. I wasn't very good back then, but I could have been if I had wanted it.

You've watched too many sport movies...It takes a whole lot more than "wanting it" to be truly good at a sport.

Of course they want to score and be good, and be liked and be an important part of the team. Who the heck doesn't?

Lots of people...Albert Einstein, Pable Picasso, Steve Jobs, John Lennon, Stephen King...the list is endless.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It takes a whole lot more than hard work and desire to be truly "good" at anything. Being "good" means better than 99.5% of the other people. And, hate to break it to you, you probably couldn't have been if you had worked at it 12 hours a day and 365 days a year.

I dont disagree with this but I do have a different definition of good. To me your definition sounds more like "elite". When I played little league I made the all star team as a third baseman two years in a row. In high school I was the starting third baseman my freshman year. Was I good? Against the other kids in my town, maybe... on a national level, not a chance. I saw players in neighboring communities that were far better than I. One of our high school rivals had a third baseman that made a brief trip to the majors. Compared to him, I was far from good...

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I dont disagree with this but I do have a different definition of good. To me your definition sounds more like "elite". When I played little league I made the all star team as a third baseman two years in a row. In high school I was the starting third baseman my freshman year. Was I good? Against the other kids in my town, maybe... on a national level, not a chance. I saw players in neighboring communities that were far better than I. One of our high school rivals had a third baseman that made a brief trip to the majors. Compared to him, I was far from good...

Great point.

Good? Compared to what? This is the way I think of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06