Anyone here good with motors/electronics? Jugs machine question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 8, 2017
So our Jugs jr has been broken for a few years, it still works, but only fires at max speed, which according to my ballcoach is 65-63 mph. That speed is fine for travel, but playing HS ball, I need to reduce the speed (and the knob does nothing when turned).

I called Jugs and ordered a new circuit board, but when I hooked it up and cranked it up full speed, it only hits 47mph. I called and the service guy was baffled, and sent out another one, and same thing, machine hits 47mph with both new panels. When I put the old one on, it hits 65mph again (machine is only supposed to go to 60mph, but mine goes faster).

I really don't want to pay to ship this machine to jugs for service, it's a 2004 model and probably a better bet to buy a new one, but wondering if anyone here has any ideas on what might be the issue? Jugs seems to have no answers, so it's not something common I think.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
By circuit board do you mean the control panel, with the speed dial, speedometer and on/off switch? My first thought would be the rheostat, but I've never looked inside the control panel so I'm just guessing.

Mar 8, 2017
By circuit board do you mean the control panel, with the speed dial, speedometer and on/off switch? My first thought would be the rheostat, but I've never looked inside the control panel so I'm just guessing.
Yes the control panel.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Yes the control panel.
Then I would guess, again, that your machine, being a 2004 model, doesn't match up with the panel that they sent you. Of course Jugs should know if the one they sent you is an 'updated' model but I wouldn't bet money on it. When you compare the panels side by side do you notice any difference in the components?

Mar 8, 2017
Then I would guess, again, that your machine, being a 2004 model, doesn't match up with the panel that they sent you. Of course Jugs should know if the one they sent you is an 'updated' model but I wouldn't bet money on it. When you compare the panels side by side do you notice any difference in the components?
They do look quite a bit different, but the connections were the same. I'll take some pics later.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
They do look quite a bit different, but the connections were the same. I'll take some pics later.
Assuming that the panels are different might explain why the new one doesn't work, but it won't help you fix the machine. With old electronics it sometimes helps to look for corrosion where connections are made and also for cracks in soldered joints. I used to work with old irrigation controllers and the first thing I did when one stopped working was to wiggle all the connectors, with the electricity off of course.

Last edited:
May 8, 2009
Florida
Have the service guy check the voltage output of the potentiometers on the right side of the board, VR1 and VR2. I think it was VR2 that capped the max speed of the motor. I should qualify my answer, I am not an EE but work with electronics and have turned up my Juggs. Of course it voids any warranty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles