Do you want it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
When the one with high aspirations says she doesn't feel like practicing I ask again "are you sure? you haven't thrown for a few days?" etc. that is usually all it takes and next thing you know she is changed and ready to go.

I used a slightly different approach. I would say "That's fine. It's me that going to go out there and suck." That usually worked pretty well.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Greenmonster, I'm betting that regardless of D-III or D-I, your dd is accustom to paying attention to detail and so, knows to outwork all. For mine, there is absolutely no difference between being D-I and D-II. She keeps in contact with all of her friends who are all at D-I schools. They have the same routines. I remember a few coaches, during recruiting, mentioning that they have expectations that non college players/parents can understand. We (parents and dd) understand now. When dd's team is playing a DH, you can't speak to them at all. When they have team meals on the road, you can't speak to them at all. When games are done and they are headed to the bus, the coach has to release them to talk. It is very strict. However, if you know the rules, everything is good. Just don't break them. When dd gets to come home, we do her laundry while she goes in to my office to keep working on homework or goes to bed to nap. We have made a science of getting groceries, equipment, school supplies to her. If is a different experience.

BTW, the comment is often made that college coaches recruit not only players but their families. That is the truth. They know all of the subtle things parents do to protest/complain/... their child's playing time. Keep that in mind. Finally, when your dd is being recruited, keep in mind that the coach has to be a fit for your child. That sounds easy enough. It is not and is a nightmare for some. We're so lucky that my dd thinks the world of her coach!

Nov 29, 2009
Everything Cannonball said and more. The freshman year is the hardest, especially the first semester. After that it gets easier for everyone. They transition from young adults to adults who learn to take care of themselves.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
A player who "wants it" in any sport will do whatever it takes to improve...ask the coach for extra practice, ask the parent to take them to the batting range, practice whenever they can, hit off a tee by themselves, etc.

Oct 7, 2013
New Jersey
I coach, teaching my kids that we are there to have fun, but that it is also a serious matter. You know the ones who will be something great, and the ones who play because they are good or decent and love the sport. I tried to make the best of every situation and show the utmost potential in every single player...I have seen coaches only focusing on the one player that was good way too many times in my life and I vow to never be like that. Every player is good in their own way and even the best player has a weakness. I wanted it and I took it and now I take the mentality that I had and pass it onto my players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06