Diving and awarding an error..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should a player be given an error if she dives for a ball (when necessary) and ball is not caught

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 49 100.0%

• Total voters
Jun 11, 2013
If you dive and and don't come up with the all it's almost always a hit. Now if you come up with the ball, get up and make a bad throw that can be an error if the scored things you had plenty of time to make the play and made a bad throw.

Now if I have fielders especially at 3rd and 2nd who never make these plays I will find ones that can. You can have no errors and still be terrible on defense.

Nov 9, 2019
I voted no. To be honest should have not voted at all as there is not enough information. If you're talking about college ball possibly, but if you give errors to younger players that are learning how and when to dive for a ball some will say why try. My thinking would be pat on the back and encourage them to keep working on it in front of the team by the coach.

Jun 11, 2013
I voted no. To be honest should have not voted at all as there is not enough information. If you're talking about college ball possibly, but if you give errors to younger players that are learning how and when to dive for a ball some will say why try. My thinking would be pat on the back and encourage them to keep working on it in front of the team by the coach.
I don't think young players even care about errors only their parents do.

Jun 11, 2013
Some don't, but the ones that will still be playing a few years down the road probably do.
I totally disagree. I never missed a ball and said, "well at least that's not an error" I thought I could make every play and I think any good player thinks they should have made several plays even if they weren't given an error.

Oct 26, 2019
Diving is not ordinary effort, no error. As others have said, the followup throw could result in an error but not the play on the dive.

Misjudging a ball is bad defense, but it's not an error.
Misjudging a ball can be an error, albeit very rare in practice. If the flyball is hit right at you and you run away from it because you misjudge it that is an error because an “average outfielder” should catch a ball right at them with “normal effort”.

A fly ball that falls in between two outfielders because of poor communication can similarly be an error. In practice this is usually scored as a hit, unless the pitcher has a no-hitter going then it is usually ruled an error. This is where the “judgment” of the score keeper comes into play.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
99.999% of the time diving for a ball results in an error.

In a half-century of watching, playing, and coaching LOTS of baseball and softball, I've never seen anyone try to score a diving attempt as an error.

This is genuinely hysterical.

I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle. There will be people who score an error on any ball that goes off a fielders glove. There are others who would consider more than a step or two extraordinary effort (aka the batter’s parents).

I’ve always tried to score using Strike2’s example: when in doubt, the hitter gets the benefit. Even if the diving player comes up with the ball and then makes a bad throw, it’s still a hit. There’s only an error if the ball gets away, because every base has to be accounted for. In that situation, it’s a single plus an error on the throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2020
I totally disagree. I never missed a ball and said, "well at least that's not an error" I thought I could make every play and I think any good player thinks they should have made several plays even if they weren't given an error.
The players know if they made a real error or not. In my experience, they do not care how it was scored.

Hits on the other hand, are a different matter....
Honest assessments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad