Diving and awarding an error..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should a player be given an error if she dives for a ball (when necessary) and ball is not caught

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 49 100.0%

• Total voters
Sep 9, 2019
I don't believe this. Better range = more chances.

If you have to dive or back hand a hard hit ball that is 3 feet off; and I have worse range, and have to dive or backhand a ball 2 feet off; is just as difficult for me at 2 feet as you at 3 feet. I don't get the error on my dive because I was only able to take 2 step before diving.
Really as simple as getting to more balls if you have better range.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I'm glad Mr. Pattar started a post

Really as simple as getting to more balls if you have better range.
Without the need to dive versus another player that might. That is part of the discussion point of judgement and opinion

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
From NCAA scoring rules... "Note: Always give the batter the benefit of the doubt and score a hit when exceptionally good fielding fails to result in a putout. When in doubt, scoring should always award base hits instead of charging errors."

In a half-century of watching, playing, and coaching LOTS of baseball and softball, I've never seen anyone try to score a diving attempt as an error.

If not for the dive, the ball would have gotten through...that's not "ordinary effort". Not if the ball leaks out of the glove and not even on an errant throw, unless there was clearly time to properly set feet and deliver a throw that unarguably results in an out. That doesn't necessarily prevent charging an error if the bad throw results in an extra base.

Easy rule for scorekeeping => Don't overthink it. If you would have said "great play" with a putout, it's a base hit if a putout doesn't happen. If there's any reasonable doubt or discussion, it's a base hit.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
From NCAA scoring rules... "Note: Always give the batter the benefit of the doubt and score a hit when exceptionally good fielding fails to result in a putout. When in doubt, scoring should always award base hits instead of charging errors."

If not for the dive, the ball would have gotten through...that's not "ordinary effort". Not if the ball leaks out of the glove and not even on an errant throw, unless there was clearly time to properly set feet and deliver a throw that unarguably results in an out. That doesn't necessarily prevent charging an error if the bad throw results in an extra base.

Easy rule for scorekeeping => Don't overthink it. If you would have said "great play" with a putout, it's a base hit if a putout doesn't happen. If there's any reasonable doubt or discussion, it's a base hit.

This is how it should be ^^^

In a half-century of watching, playing, and coaching LOTS of baseball and softball, I've never seen anyone try to score a diving attempt as an error.

Well...when a P's dad is running the book... 😜

May 16, 2016
There are only 4 people at the park that care about scoring errors, the parents of the player who committed error, and the parents of the pitcher whose ERA is affected.

Oct 26, 2019
99.999% of the time diving for a ball should not result in an error.

Now for the sake of argument, let’s just say a fly ball is hit high to left field right where the left fielder is positioned. And let’s say that the leftfielder runs 20 feet to the right, 10 feet back, Then realizes it is hit exactly where she was to begin with. If she has to dive for that ball that she misread, I might be inclined to give her an error for that. Otherwise diving should result in a hit in almost every other case.

Some people just like being contradictory. If diving for a ball resulting in an error 99.9% of the time is a major point of debate for you, you may just be one of those people.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021
In my opinion diving doesn't constitute "ordinary effort." I always leave room for some edge cases though where someone does something they shouldn't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves