Distracted ump (1st base coach)..what's the call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2016
Runner on 3rd, back pick to 3rd, ump call strike and 1st base coach yells "WHAT?", ump seems to see 3rd base fall on top of runner but no call, then immediately turns head to 1st base coach to glare at him (yes, I know it sounds like a woman's voice ;)). Runner out at home after being delayed because of being tied up at 3rd.

Let the arguing and fans voicing their opinions begin! lol

Then at the 1:01:50 mark the head coach comes to talk about it again in between innings right in front of camera. "Blue, you didn't see that?"

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Did she say that’s why we sent her? If the ump hasn’t signaled obstruction, why would you assume he would call it later?
What they need is to pay for a 2 man crew instead of assuming 1 ump is enough.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I see two players getting momentarily tangled up after the runner dives back on the bag.

I don't see much of a case for obstruction there. Obviously, there was good backup on the play.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The pitch in question is caught backhanded in the river almost in the dirt. 1:16:29. No where near a strike. Runner should not have been sent. Two wrong never make a right.

Mar 20, 2019
I'm trying to figure out how at 1:00 a runner just comes out of the dug out and goes to first like it's no big deal?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I'm trying to figure out how at 1:00 a runner just comes out of the dug out and goes to first like it's no big deal?

It happened a few other times as well, I saw it at the 34:40 mark. Batter draws a walk, runner from the dugout goes to first, SAME BATTER remains at the plate. Then when the batter makes an out at first during the 2nd "AB" she takes the place of the runner ahead of her who was on from the original walk? Must be the MLB (Martian Lunar Ball) rule set, so I have no idea what they wanted called at 3rd on the play in question, is obstruction a thing in the MLB (see above) rule book? And yes, PAY FOR A 2ND darn ump or quit complaining about balls and strikes to the one you hire can keep an eye on the play.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
It happened a few other times as well, I saw it at the 34:40 mark. Batter draws a walk, runner from the dugout goes to first, SAME BATTER remains at the plate. Then when the batter makes an out at first during the 2nd "AB" she takes the place of the runner ahead of her who was on from the original walk? Must be the MLB (Martian Lunar Ball) rule set, so I have no idea what they wanted called at 3rd on the play in question, is obstruction a thing in the MLB (see above) rule book? And yes, PAY FOR A 2ND darn ump or quit complaining about balls and strikes to the one you hire can keep an eye on the play.

It might be a friendly. Sometimes during a friendly if a batter walks the will put a runner on and the batter will hit again.

Edit: After watching that is definitely what is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
If it is a 'friendly' then why is the coach even questioning the umpire about the non-call? Or the 1B coach kvetching about balls and strikes? If a friendly is going to be played with bastardized rules, then (IMHO) they can save the money and have parents get out there and umpire (this would be a good way to let them a) learn the rules and b) realize what it is like when they are in the crowd doing the complaining)

Oct 11, 2018
Clearly a friendly. Very common to see a girl take ball 4 and stay up to bat. Not official sanction rules but very common in scrimmages. Kid wants a chance to hit, not walk the bases.

As far as the obstruction at 3rd. It could not have been more obvious and should have been called. Ump whining about a reaction from a coach on a pitch instead of watching a defender sitting on a base runner is pretty poor umpiring.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Clearly a friendly. Very common to see a girl take ball 4 and stay up to bat. Not official sanction rules but very common in scrimmages. Kid wants a chance to hit, not walk the bases.

As far as the obstruction at 3rd. It could not have been more obvious and should have been called. Ump whining about a reaction from a coach on a pitch instead of watching a defender sitting on a base runner is pretty poor umpiring.

Umps in general are pretty poor in SoCal. My estimation would be 10% very good, 20% decent, 30% weak and 40% horrible. Many are up in years and completely immobile. Some need the money and it is pretty sad. The cost of travel ball is already high and adding an extra ump would further raise the price of friendlies. And why would you want an extra ump if there is a 70% chance he will be less than satisfactory. LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06