DD is ready for a new bat...what to get?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
For what it is worth... unless your playing all winter I wouldn't buy a new bat now. Check out what a lot of us talk about with implimenting 26-30 oz slow pitch bats in our winter BP. Do it, and I will guarantee you won't be wondering if you should stick with 23 or go 24 ounces. Your dd will fire any bat from 20-30 ounces with speed and power.
We are playing through December, 2-4 week break for holidays, and kicking back up in end of January, going full swing again by February. I am thinking about letting her get the Worth 454 drop 9, and come Feb/Mar, we'll look at end-loaded bats to work in. She has never had a variety to work with, so we are going to add to her stash starting next year. :) This might be frustrating but fun. LOL...depends on who is swinging the bat, I suppose. LOL.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We are playing through December, 2-4 week break for holidays, and kicking back up in end of January, going full swing again by February. I am thinking about letting her get the Worth 454 drop 9, and come Feb/Mar, we'll look at end-loaded bats to work in. She has never had a variety to work with, so we are going to add to her stash starting next year. :) This might be frustrating but fun. LOL...depends on who is swinging the bat, I suppose. LOL.

Oh you guys suck! Just now saw your in Texas.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
LOL. I already went down that road too. In regards to length, both hitting coach AND TB coach said that she didn't *need* the length...her arms are long enough to get the outside pitches. As for the weight, she's just a fast swinger, and they think that an extra ounce will help her with the timing...it may be a VERY VERY minute change, but it could help just that much. She swung a teammate's 33/24 during batting practice, and she rocked it. Loved the feel and weight of it...said it was just like when she first got her old bat (then she went from a -11.5 to -10). So...we'll see. I am mainly concerned with the one-piece vs. two-piece bats, AND I have another thing to add...do we go with end-loaded or balanced??? Never thought it would be this complex. ;)

I am not an expert on the subject, but I think most of the -9 bats are end loaded while the -10 bats are considered 'balanced'.

Oct 10, 2011
A lot of people think the 454 and Freak have a slightly end loaded feel. At any rate, that's a great bat especially after a couple hundred swings.

Apr 1, 2010
I am mainly concerned with the one-piece vs. two-piece bats, AND I have another thing to add...do we go with end-loaded or balanced??? Never thought it would be this complex. ;)

It sounds like she'd be awesome with an end-loaded bat. On the other hand, if she's used to balanced bats and hits well with them, do you want to go messing with something that isn't broken?

edited to add: Just saw you were looking at a drop 9 454. I think that would be a great bat for her!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
DD reports to me that her 33/23 Miken Freak NXT has an end loaded feel.

I wish I would have got her the -9 NXT. Might have prevented me from buying her a new in wrapper 2005 Rocketech.

Bat buying is going to cause me to lose my happy home if I don't stop soon.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
My name is West and I think I have a problem!

Well, today Indoor sb practice starts up so I can get my sb fix somewhere besides ebay!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan