Two bats, one child

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2022
We got two new bats for one of our girls. The intent was to let her pick the one she wanted and return (if she did not try) or sell the other (if she wanted to test). She's small but strong (9 yo, 50", 52 lbs).
One bat is a 28/17 that weighs in at 19.3oz (two piece comp)
The other is a 30/19 that weighs in at 18.9oz (one piece comp)
She's been swinging a hand me down 30/20 in BP (slows her swing down, but does not alter form) and a friends 28/17 (much lighter) two piece along with her alloy 16-17oz bat in games. I would normally go with the 28/17 but because its heavier than the 30/19 its complicating the decision.
With this limited information, should we go with the longer, lighter bat or stick with the shorter, but heavier bat?
Be patient...we're new to this. Thanks.

Nov 23, 2021
SC
29 drop 11, sorry couldn't resist. whatever bat she can drive the ball best with. is there a difference? if not go with the 30/19, but that seems big for a 52 pound kid.

Sep 19, 2018
2 inches even if the same weight (or slightly less) is a big thing. Rule of thumb, when in doubt go smaller. My outside, never saw your DD play recommendation is the 28/17. However, if she prefers another bat for whatever reason (the color is the most common factor), and you don't see a huge difference in performance, let her choose.

Jun 8, 2016
We got two new bats for one of our girls. The intent was to let her pick the one she wanted and return (if she did not try) or sell the other (if she wanted to test). She's small but strong (9 yo, 50", 52 lbs).
One bat is a 28/17 that weighs in at 19.3oz (two piece comp)
The other is a 30/19 that weighs in at 18.9oz (one piece comp)
She's been swinging a hand me down 30/20 in BP (slows her swing down, but does not alter form) and a friends 28/17 (much lighter) two piece along with her alloy 16-17oz bat in games. I would normally go with the 28/17 but because its heavier than the 30/19 its complicating the decision.
With this limited information, should we go with the longer, lighter bat or stick with the shorter, but heavier bat?
Be patient...we're new to this. Thanks.
She would be a rare breed swinging a 1 piece at that age. My kid did but I am an as# and didn’t give her a choice. Of course she somehow broke the thing so for all I know she was hitting stop sign poles with it when I wasn’t around..

Oct 24, 2022
Thanks cnardone and pattar. We'll eat the sticker price I guess and let her swing both. And she would definitely swing her favorite color even it she hits better with the other.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28