DD hit with ball...when to go on field?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

16u

Scene: "Balls in", blue yells from behind the plate. All of the infield balls are in...still one zipping through the outfield. DD is at 3rd facing home. CF zings the ball dead towards her - I scream her name, too late - heard it hit, she goes down, the crowd hushes. I sit and watch as coaches and umps go to her. Son says, "we need to go out there, Momma." I still sit, thinking she'd be mortified if I went out there. After about 10 minutes, she gets up and makes a throw from 3rd to 1st - perfect, so game continues.

Checked her when it was over - ball mark, along with laces, about 2" from her spine right below her neck. Gave her 2 percogesic when we got home. Was unsure what to rub on the mark, so put some muscle rub on it.

Asked her when she was up during the night (very restless night) if she wanted me to go out there. She told me that there was no blood and she wasn't seeing Tweety Bird flying around, so there was no need.

Questions: when do you, as a parent, go to the field to check on hurt child and when they are hit with the ball, what do you put on it??

May 19, 2010
I was wondering the same thing this past weekend, only in 14u dd takes a line drive to her shin at third and it actually drops her blue goes over while she is on the ground, looks at the dugout and tells our coaches to hurry and get to her, i seriously thought her leg was broken, it wasnt just left a nasty brusie and took off the top layer of skin.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
As a coach and parent, I believe you as the parent have all the right to go onto the field.

Here is my issue, unless the umpire or coach are medical professionals who have experience in dealing with injuries especially those related to head and spine, I don't want them making the decision that my kid is ok to play.

The saying "Better Safe than Sorry" fits perfectly for sport injuries.

When an individual slips on her skies, bumps her head and dies the next day..... All when everyone around assumed she was ok. You all heard that story in the news a couple years back. What medical expert said the individual was ok? Not one from what I remember...

Parents know their kids, they know when they are hurt or just embarrassed usually. I think if a parent feels it is necessary to check on their under age child in a game, they should be welcome to the field. Maybe give them a minute, see if DD gets up, if not, I would walk closer to hear what is going on and to see if I can see anything, at that point if I felt I needed to go on the field, I would go.

Just my feelings, since I have seen many coaches, umpires and other individuals "play" medical professionals when they don't know a thing about the human body. (BTW - I am an ER Nurse, so my kids have a mother who worries as it is, LOL) So maybe I am extreme, but "Better Safe than Sorry".

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
If the coaches have something that goes beyond thier comfort level to manage...they'll holler, motion for or come get Mom/Dad to assist with putting Humpty back together again. 16 and 18U I'd definitly hold out for the coaches call.

Ball strikes : Ice 15 miniutes on/ 15 off. ONLY after play is done. Icing in the dugout between innings is a wide open invitation to torn tissues. Ice is the opposite of a warm up right? A couple hours of that and you'll get all the good out of it you can expect for bruise and swell prevention but can still be useful as a pain management tool. Keep rotating as long as the kid will tolerate it. 45 mintues is the best I've done before the rug rat didn't want to hold still to hold the ice on it.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Most of the time, if it is bad enough for you to go out there you will know. If she doesn't get back up and is screaming, probably a good idea to go. If coaches call for you, definitely go. We've never had issues with parents coming on the field when not needed or parents not coming when they are. You just know. One of the good things about our games is their is nearly always a mom who is a nurse around somewhere!

Mar 15, 2010
On my All Star team I am fortunate that I have a dad who is a Doctor and a mom that is nurse. When a girls goes down injured I call one or both of these parents on to the field. My parents prefer this approach as it limits the number of people around their DD and allows these professionals to assess without the pressure of a worried parent standing over them. So far this season my team has had a broken finger, split lip from braces and a2nd baseman almost knocked out from a bad hop. In all 3 instances the doc and nurse provided excellent triage and got the girls out of the game safely and to urgent care where additional treatment was provided.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wouldn't wait 10 minutes. I don't leave those decisions to the coach.

DD ran her head into the wall in basketball her freshman year. I sat in the bleachers about 2 minutes, with the crowd hushed and people looking from her to me. A trainer was looking at her, but she wasn't getting up.

I walked down there very slowly to see if she was hurt. She didn't appear to be, but she was shook up. She didn't say that she didn't want me down there, but I didn't stay.

I went back to my seat and said "Apparently, she just wants to throw a little fit."

It is hard to say when you should go to the field.

Jun 16, 2010
In almost all cases, the parent doesnt need to go on the field. Even if a girl is seriously hurt, it may not even be the best thing, often the parent wont know what to do and may just get upset and panic and confuse things. Let calm rational people handle the situation. First thing is usually to request assistance from Dr or nurses who are there, and call EMS, etc. For minor injuries, just go meet her in the dugout, take her to ER if needed for sprains, broken fingers etc.

Bumps, blows to head, thats a parents call as to whether or not to seek medical evaluation. Most come out of the game for a short period after that, Id question anyones judgement that left a girl in and didnt take her out for a while. I have seen girls take line drives to head, and continue to play with visible knot on the head. My dd would have gone to ER to be checked out after a head shot, but all parents are different.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish