D9 Sun Classsic Orlando Florida

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
No college coaches unless your team or the other team specifically invited them and they have interest so they come out to scout. That is how you get them to your games anyway. If you are hoping they happen to wander by and take a look it is unlikely unless something spectacular happens at the exact moment they are walking by (i.e. someone happens to hit a home run or something similar)

To give you an idea - we play in Orlando fairly regularly and I had to look up where Oren Brown Community Park was. I hadn't heard of it before.

Thanks. A couple of my DDs teammates are going to the tournament, more for the experience and vacation than anything else but it's good to know exactly what they will get (or not get) for the $1400 the team is shelling out plus airfare, rooms, daily expenses, etc.

I just don't see the value in it for our 14U players from SoCal. I have a feeling that some of the families will be very disappointed if they were expecting to play showcase games in front of lots of college coaches.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
DD's team is at 12-15 or 21-24 for all seven games this weekend. Like I said, it's worth it if you're there. If not...Siberia.

We're in Siberia, and there were plenty of coaches there today. Mostly mid-majors, but saw an SEC and Big Ten school. It's not the facility, but the team and players. If players have made relationships and drawn interest from coaches, they will show up.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Wife just texted "swing a cat hit a coach". She said lots of coaches where they are. Good luck to all those playing!

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Alabama coach watching DD1 game. I'm sure he's watching a girl on the other team. DD1 already caught 2 girls stealing......:p

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Picked up DD1 and DW from the airport at midnight. Her team went 3-2 and showed pretty well. Great experience for DD1 playing against really good teams.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We went 4-3, which was better than I expected.

We moved to NC from GA about 3 years ago. In our final game, we played a GA team, the coach of which I played against (as coach) several times when I coached a 10U team in GA 6 years ago. But better yet, one of the players on his team went to pre-school with my DD and was her teammate on 8U and 10U rec teams and were close friends in middle school before we moved. They've kept in touch a little, and we've seen them at a couple of other tournaments, but never played against them.

I guess that's not overly amazing, but for their teams to play each other, it was kinda neat, and it made me reflect. To remember 2 kids when they were 5-6 years old in a classroom, to see them at age 8 playing softball together on a team I coached, to move away and be reunited for a game in Orlando, now all grown up, not many years left for them doing this ... It made me sentimental.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Fantastic tournament this year. More college coaches than I ever remember being there in the past, our kids got looks from a number of top schools. Played well, too... 5-2 on the weekend and beat a few very good teams.

At fields 12-15 you could barely walk around near the fields when games were on. I'd bet there were 50-60 coaches there for our first game. Even our last game on Sunday had a dozen or so in attendance, that's pretty good for the third day at 2:00PM.

But MAN, was it hot. :eek: Our team (players only) went through ten cases of water and 5 cases of Gatorade in three days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13