D9 Sun Classsic Orlando Florida

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
We have been there for the past 3 years and I assure you, if you're playing on fields 21-24, you will have coaches there watching. Certainly the most activity will be around fields 12-15, but we've played games on 21-24 where literally dozens of coaches were watching.

If you're off the main complex, you might as well be playing in Siberia. You'd better really work the phones and email to get the coaches to leave WWOS and come see your DD.

Looking forward to another good trip this year!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So if you are a 14u team from CA, very few college coaches will be watching your games and not worth the expense? Looking at one of our teams, one day several of the games are at the ESPN fields. Does that change anyone's perspective?

Players who are recruited at 14U are the top 1%, 16U is when the majority of recruiting occurs. I have no problem with 14U teams playing showcases, but they are BIG money makers for the organizers and I would play local showcases, not ones that require a plane ticket and hotels.

16U I would do everything you could to get to the IDT in Colorado, Legacy in Atlanta, Demarini in Chicago, Southern Force (Watkinsville) in Atlanta, and the D9 in Orlando. Scenic City in Chattanooga is another good one.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I don't see the D9 as a cash grab. My DD was recruited at D9 and we placed several others in schools
as a result of playing the D9.
Negatives? it is a looooong walk from parking lot.
They run shuttle service to HESS fields but coaches are more scarce at HESS.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We have been there for the past 3 years and I assure you, if you're playing on fields 21-24, you will have coaches there watching. Certainly the most activity will be around fields 12-15, but we've played games on 21-24 where literally dozens of coaches were watching.

If you're off the main complex, you might as well be playing in Siberia. You'd better really work the phones and email to get the coaches to leave WWOS and come see your DD.

Looking forward to another good trip this year!

Yes, but what about when playing at Osceola, Fortune Road, or Winterhaven? It is great if you get a couple games at 10-15 or even 21-24 but games at the other venues are pretty much pointless. Making your 2 games at WWOS very expensive.

Added; Guess they have expanded to Minneola, NTC Clermont, and Auburndale, Oren Brown. And there is no Gold registration. Only 14U, 16U, 18U.

Check the schedule here:

http://www.tourneymachine.com/Publi...3&IDDivision=h20151025102128996b3f7c9272af54f

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Added; Guess they have expanded to Minneola, NTC Clermont, and Auburndale, Oren Brown. And there is no Gold registration. Only 14U, 16U, 18U.

Check the schedule here:

Tourney Machine

About 1200 games in three divisions in 9 parks (12 if you consider WWoS three parks which you should). Almost 600 of those games in 18U with 400 in 16U.

Those coaches better be there looking for you someone in your game because they don't have any way to just wander by.

14U gets you 1 - maybe 2 games @ WWoS on one of the baseball fields I believe. You never sniff the Diamondplex.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
About 1200 games in three divisions in 9 parks (12 if you consider WWoS three parks which you should). Almost 600 of those games in 18U with 400 in 16U.

Those coaches better be there looking for you someone in your game because they don't have any way to just wander by.

14U gets you 1 - maybe 2 games @ WWoS on one of the baseball fields I believe. You never sniff the Diamondplex.

Diamondplex is in Winterhaven about an hour away. The main fields are ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex - FIELDXX. Places like Mineola (2 counties to the North) only have 2 fields in community parks well off the beaten path to ensure a quiet and private experience. :)

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Yes, but what about when playing at Osceola, Fortune Road, or Winterhaven? It is great if you get a couple games at 10-15 or even 21-24 but games at the other venues are pretty much pointless. Making your 2 games at WWOS very expensive.

Check the schedule here:

Tourney Machine

DD's team is at 12-15 or 21-24 for all seven games this weekend. Like I said, it's worth it if you're there. If not...Siberia.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Diamondplex is in Winterhaven about an hour away. The main fields are ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex - FIELDXX. Places like Mineola (2 counties to the North) only have 2 fields in community parks well off the beaten path to ensure a quiet and private experience. :)

AH, I am used to them referring to Field 10-15 as the Diamondplex... forgot they were making people go to Winterhaven.... Perhaps they can go to Legoland while they are there.

Feb 7, 2013
Great information everyone.

So I looked up my 14U team's schedule and 4 games at Oren Brown Community Park and 2 games at ESPN WWOS Field #4. Basically what you are saying is no college coaches will be attending these games? Glad my DD didn't sign up to go....

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Great information everyone.

So I looked up my 14U team's schedule and 4 games at Oren Brown Community Park and 2 games at ESPN WWOS Field #4. Basically what you are saying is no college coaches will be attending these games? Glad my DD didn't sign up to go....

No college coaches unless your team or the other team specifically invited them and they have interest so they come out to scout. That is how you get them to your games anyway. If you are hoping they happen to wander by and take a look it is unlikely unless something spectacular happens at the exact moment they are walking by (i.e. someone happens to hit a home run or something similar)

To give you an idea - we play in Orlando fairly regularly and I had to look up where Oren Brown Community Park was. I hadn't heard of it before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13