Cutting players who tryout for other teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
12-U and up sounds pretty cut throat. Do players ever leave teams and come back, or once you’re gone from an organization you’re gone?

I've had many players leave my teams over the years mostly after the season ended. I would say that probably 75% of them tried to come back. Unfortunately for them, I had found replacements and didn't need them. I'm loyal to the players that are loyal to the team. In other words, If they want to stay the following year, they have a spot. Those that don't will get replaced at tryouts. Thus, few spots open up year to year and rarely did a former player fit the position needed in subsequent years that wanted to return.

For those that withdraw from the team or were asked to leave mid-season, I will not take back...period. If they withdrew and wouldn't honor their commitment then, why should I believe they will honor it in the following years they want to return to my team? If they were asked to leave, I don't even want to see them again. As for fees, they are paid in full for the year at the beginning of the season. If they are asked to leave or withdraw from the team on their own, there are zero refunds given. That gives them an incentive to stay for their commitment or at the least, force the parents/players to behave themselves so they won't be asked to leave the team.

May 6, 2015
Players (as long as they are fulfilling their commitments to the team regarding practice, games, etc.) should be free to look at alternatives. How would you react if you interviewed for another job, and your current employer fired you (I would be on phone with lawyer before leaving the parking lot). simply not reasonable (not at least without other extenuating circumstances, which were not given). maybe the family needs to look at lower cost / closer to home options?

We would never pay an entire year up front, frankly we cannot. monthly dues paid in full by around March normally, has been the norm for every team. some even have entirely separate budgets and payment plans for fall, winter, and spring. locking people in based on finances, especially first year with a team, to me means you must be pretty certain some will want to leave after fall. if a team is not a fit, it is best for all involved, especially the player (whom this is all supposed to be about in the end remember) to find out after fall and find a better fit.

Remember coaches, this GAME is supposed to be about the players.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
"It's like when going on vacation and you get all kinds of upgrades on the flight you're taking. Heck you might get the 1st class treatment.
Seating arrangements are ideal and the trip is looking up.

The flight might have some turbulence but with the wheels up you're committed to the flight.
How the rest of the flight goes including the landing is TBD.
It can be the best trip ever or it can be a disaster.

Enjoy your time with the other passengers and try not to get into an emergency landing situations.
Depending on how you handled the trip it maybe a one way ticket."

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
If your going with this flight plan scenario
" wheels are up your commited"...
suggest bring a parachute because things can implode before you get to the destination.

Will use this analogy
I keep my two hands on the steering wheel of my life.
Keep the direction i go up to me!

The op scenario very limited info on tryout bailout move on situation
Going out on a very thick branch here and state....
There is probably a scenario that everyone would leave a team for.
And
A scenario coaches wont tolerate.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019
I'm not a coach but it seems odd to cut players for trying out for other teams. Especially if you are a team that requires current players to try out for the team to make it the next season. If you require current players to try out you should 100% expect all your players to be going to as many tryouts as they can. You are trying to better your team. They are trying to find the best fit for their goals. Sometimes that is mutually beneficial. When it isn't shake hands and part ways.

You can't say you only want committed girls, but then cut girls and replace them as soon as a better option comes along. You can't expect a girl to sit on the bench when team B across the street will get her on the field.

It's like a job. Would you fire an employee for interviewing at another job? Not if they were helping the company.

Mar 28, 2014
I agree with @texasheat on this one ( :unsure: ...:LOL:).
200.gif

Mar 28, 2014
I'm not a coach but it seems odd to cut players for trying out for other teams. Especially if you are a team that requires current players to try out for the team to make it the next season. If you require current players to try out you should 100% expect all your players to be going to as many tryouts as they can. You are trying to better your team. They are trying to find the best fit for their goals. Sometimes that is mutually beneficial. When it isn't shake hands and part ways.

You can't say you only want committed girls, but then cut girls and replace them as soon as a better option comes along. You can't expect a girl to sit on the bench when team B across the street will get her on the field.

It's like a job. Would you fire an employee for interviewing at another job? Not if they were helping the company.
It's basically dudes who can't coach at the college level living out their fantasy as a big time coach by coaching 12 year olds and treating it as though they are coaching at the college level. It's a convoluted version of Fantasy Football except you have real players. Lol.....

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019
It's basically dudes who can't coach at the college level living out their fantasy as a big time coach by coaching 12 year olds and treating it as though they are coaching at the college level. It's a convoluted version of Fantasy Football except you have real players. Lol.....
And I'm a Jerry Maguire wanna be sports agent shopping my kid around like a MLB free-agent.

I try to talk to her about what position she wants, what level of ball the team is playing, what Org can help her with college.

If it was left up to her she would choose her team based off how many of the girls play fortnight, what color the uniforms are, and who has the coolest tic-toc account.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
And I'm a Jerry Maguire wanna be sports agent shopping my kid around like a MLB free-agent.

I try to talk to her about what position she wants, what level of ball the team is playing, what Org can help her with college.

If it was left up to her she would choose her team based off how many of the girls play fortnight, what color the uniforms are, and who has the coolest tic-toc account.
Literally have a students parent have known now 7 years who has aquired so much excellent hands on management experience through her dd's s.b. journey.
I keep encouraging her to write a book!

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
I have never cut a player mid-year, and don't generally think it is a good idea. I picked her, I try to make it work. But every situation is different. And in a perfect world, the girl plays out the year on my team. Here are other things to consider:

1. Player is behind on dues (we charge monthly). They are generally on time, but have stopped paying.
2. Player is openly attending other open practices and telling potential Coaches she is looking.
3. Players parents are starting to grumble in stands about playing times and how she isn't being treated fairly.
4. Players parents believe that she is one of the top players on the team, and she believes it (she is not).
5. If we need to replace (we may or may not), the general time to do it in this area is quickly approaching.

Again, I will state, I am happy to keep her on the team, and let her play out the season. I do not have any issue with that. She is a good kid, and the parents have always been nice to me personally. And the other girls like her, and the other parents like them. No real issues. However, I start putting all of these pieces together and I can see an issue brewing.

All in all, I will probably let it play out, and wish them the best (90%+ chance they leave within next 2 weeks). Not wanting to make the monthly payment this month (they are always on time), is a pretty big indicator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr