collision at first base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I'll give you that he should have stopped and squared up to the play, but what else are you seeing? Or not seeing.

You're absolutely right, stopping and squaring up would have put him into the position he needed to be in to properly see all the elements of that play. Additionally, with there being a collision, if either coach came out to discuss the call; his having been in proper position would put him on more solid footing to explain his ruling.
Watching it I just thought that he dug himself into a hole by his lack of movement off the foul line. He's still pretty much standing on the line and about one step into that casual stroll of his as the ball and runner are all arriving at first base. His lack of hustle took away any chance of him being able to properly stop and square up to the play with any kind of proper angle.
Maybe as the play started he thought it was just going to be a routine out and then it exploded into what we saw on the video.
What can I say.....to me it just looked like lazy umpiring.
I am assuming that because the ball went off the 1B's glove that he felt a safe call was not necessary.

Jun 22, 2008
Does look very lazy in his movement to make call. As for not making a call, dont know about everywhere, but here we are taught no ball no call.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You're absolutely right, stopping and squaring up would have put him into the position he needed to be in to properly see all the elements of that play. Additionally, with there being a collision, if either coach came out to discuss the call; his having been in proper position would put him on more solid footing to explain his ruling.

What ruling? Just because he wasn't in the proper stance doesn't mean he didn't see the play. Coaches are going to discuss a play regardless and the umpire is not going to lose that argument. Would it have been more professional, sure.

Watching it I just thought that he dug himself into a hole by his lack of movement off the foul line. He's still pretty much standing on the line and about one step into that casual stroll of his as the ball and runner are all arriving at first base. His lack of hustle took away any chance of him being able to properly stop and square up to the play with any kind of proper angle.[/quote'

Well, not seeing him on the line, I have no idea how he came off. I follow the standard procedures and walk the line. Once the ball is hit, I'm two steps and in position. I don't run, but I'm where I need to be and waiting on the play. I teach to not confuse running and movement with hustle. And umpire can run his/her tail off and bounce around looking at a play and all it means is that the umpire moved alot. To me, it is more important to be deliberate with one's movements and aware of what is happening and watching the play. When you are running or concentrating to get to a certain point on the field, odds are that you may not be able to focus on something that may require your attention.

You are 100% correct on the stop. Even if you need to stop short of where you are supposed to be, stop and see the play.

Maybe as the play started he thought it was just going to be a routine out and then it exploded into what we saw on the video.
What can I say.....to me it just looked like lazy umpiring.

Or maybe he thought he was going to need to make that call from the foul side, which I don't recommend unless trapped out there. OTOH, it seems that after the contact (and I wouldn't call what we saw a "collision") it seemed he was doing what he was supposed to, find the ball and move inside.

But, like many other things on the ballfield, perception can be everything.

I am assuming that because the ball went off the 1B's glove that he felt a safe call was not necessary.

Comp is right that if there is no ball, it is no call. It seemed that the BR had already beaten the throw, but I couldn't tell if the defender got it in the glove prior to the contract. If so, then I could see a call being made since the initial play did conclude. If not, then there was no call to be made.

Mar 13, 2010
MTR,
Agree with everything you said. Like you, I walk the line...every pitch. Two steps off my push foot gets me to where I need to be to stop, get my angle and square up. And yes, hustle and running are two entirely different things....you don't have to be running to hustle and running doesn't mean you're hustling.
I also thought that yes, maybe he was going to make the call from the foul side, hence the late move into the infield. If that was the case, then I'm looking for him to display a little "sense of urgency" (?) hustle (?) commitment (?) to getting inside. That's what I didn't see.
I hear what Comp is saying about giving a safe signal and as you pointed out he's absolutely correct. Personally, with everything that went on at 1B on that play I'm giving a simple basic safe call.
"But, like many other things on the ballfield, perception can be everything." How true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy