collision at first base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
What I see is a bad throw taking 1B into the path of the BR (and the orange safety bag), which means the BR has the right to use the white inside bag. But obviously it's a bang-bang play because of the poor throw. The video shows the BU making no call for obstruction but also no out or safe call. What was the call?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I found this on Twitter and it was similar to a still picture that we had discussed, so I posted it.

I teach 1st base to let those throws go, due to the high injury rate to the shoulder. I can't say for certain that it isn't the 2nd baseman, but it looks like that would be the 2nd baseman on the run, to get there.

It would be a good time for the runner to slide, but I don't know if the rules allowed it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
At the 6 sec. mark, there is an IF that must be either 1st or 2nd. I guess they had some play going on to cover that bunt. So, I am also guessing that the OF was in, and whomever was covering 1st was moving toward the bag, when the throw arrived a bit late and wild.

May 25, 2010
It would be a good time for the runner to slide, but I don't know if the rules allowed it.
Although it might be a good idea, with the potential throw coming from behind her, wouldn't 1B's position be the only indication that there was an errant throw on its way? I don't know how often I see slides at 1B on bunts.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
What I see is a bad throw taking 1B into the path of the BR (and the orange safety bag), which means the BR has the right to use the white inside bag. But obviously it's a bang-bang play because of the poor throw. The video shows the BU making no call for obstruction but also no out or safe call. What was the call?

Speaking ASA, that is not so. 8.2.M.5 states specifically notes the errant throw must draw the defending into foul ground. That did not happen here.

Problems with this play is that the defender needs to be taught how to receive a throw. This is poor coaching. The contact was after the runner passed the base so there is no obstruction unless the ball got away and the umpire believed the runner could have reached 2B had she not been hit by the defender.

BTW, for the purposes of ASA rules, an errant throw is one that draws the defender AWAY from the area of the play, not simply an off-target throw.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The right fielder picked up the ball and tagged the runner.

I am kidding. I get these from tweets from SoftballNews. I looked it up on Youtube, but there isn't any additional information.

Mar 13, 2010

The BU provides the viewer with excellent examples of no hustle, lack of awareness to the play that was developing, poor positioning and mechanics.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The BU provides the viewer with excellent examples of no hustle, lack of awareness to the play that was developing, poor positioning and mechanics.

I'll give you that he should have stopped and squared up to the play, but what else are you seeing? Or not seeing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish