College rule about getting hit by pitch that is over the plate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
Is the only legal way to get a copy of the NFHS rulebook is to buy it? Maybe it's free to read somewhere, but they certainly don't make it easy to find, if so.

a little googling found me a copy of the 2023 version pdf on a random sports website.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Watching the Tennessee game vs Stanford and it looked like the ump correctly didn’t award the base to the batter. But both times the pitches were given as balls. They looked like strikes if not hit by the batter.

Is it the umpires discretion to rule ball or strike when a base isn’t awarded. If it is automatically a ball what stops a batter from Intentionally getting hit by strikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I watched that game. The batter's toes were outside of the box and the umpire both times pointed that out.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Make sure you read the correct rule book, not just "a rule book." Hit-by-pitch rules vary by code.

(Edited to change my wording slightly.)
What is rule for NCAA D1 softball say? Does the batter have to attempt to get out of the way? If not, I don't understand how the ump could call the pitch a ball and not award the base.

Mar 29, 2023
To be fair, I did say legally. Seems weird they make it a paid document on their site (at first, it kind of looked like they wanted you to pay for the physical copy, which would make more sense than paywalling it completely.).

Jun 22, 2008
What is rule for NCAA D1 softball say? Does the batter have to attempt to get out of the way? If not, I don't understand how the ump could call the pitch a ball and not award the base.
The NCAA rule is that a pitched ball that is entirely inside the batters box the batter does not have to make any attempt to avoid. If the ball is not entirely inside the batters box and the batter does not make an attempt to avoid the ball it is considered a deliberate attempt to be hit and the batter is not awarded first base.

Nov 9, 2021
I watched that game. The batter's toes were outside of the box and the umpire both times pointed that out.

I agree. But was surprised they were ruled balls. The second one was easily a strike if not hit by the batter. Sounds like it is umpire discretion and maybe he just missed that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00