College players using Xeno over Meta and LXT

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Interesting. Anecdotally, based on my own family experience, we’ve been hitting Easton and Miken composite bats, both fastpitch and slow pitch for upwards of 20 years, and never had one crack or otherwise fail internally until this META. I buy new bats owing to my old bats going dead. Just seams odd to me that over the last 5 years or so, I’m hearing more reports of new bats not even making it through a season before they fail. Would be interesting to see actual data to confirm or disprove that, if it’s out there.
It’s this “want it right now mentality” crowd. I mean who’s got time to actually break in a bat? Now people want these bat manufacturers to make bats as hot as possible day one right out of the wrapper, gonna compromise strength and durability somewhere doing it that way!

Dec 22, 2022
It’s this “want it right now mentality” crowd. I mean who’s got time to actually break in a bat? Now people want these bat manufacturers to make bats as hot as possible day one right out of the wrapper, gonna compromise strength and durability somewhere doing it that way!
Perhaps. I for one, have always assumed that a break in period (3-4 buckets of BP balls) prior to using a bat in a game, was a good practice regardless of the “hot out of the wrapper” claims.

Re. bat design though, my feel is that manufacturers are taking their designs closer to the failure margins in order to extract as much performance as they can from the design, and that approach is OK so long as their manufacturing processes are tightened up so that process variances don’t lead to a significant potion of the manufactured population that fall outside of the control limits and into the failure zone. This could quite reasonably lead to the kind of bat “infant mortality” that I see being reported by users these days. Sorry for the SPC lingo ….. occupational hazard 😁.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Again, you just said it and I dont know why its a shock to anybody. Bats have to be right on the performance limit at this point.
This comes with a downfall. It is what it is.
As I just said, When Easton had the Mako, nobody wanted it. Why...it took to long to break in. Heaven forbid...and girls hit bp anyway.
You add all the inner tech in these bats and the violent reaction a bat goes thru. You are going to have breaks.
And you act like bats are failing at 50%...no they arent. Bats have like a 4-8% breakage rate nowadays. Thats not bad really. You just hear
about it because one bat breaks, and that person is on fb and 10 forums complaining about it :)

Never understood it, parents want a bat little suzie can hit right out of the wrapper, but yet use that same bat to hit BP every day and complain
when it breaks. Which leads me to number 2....you have no idea what these people are doing that assists in some of the breakages.
You dont know what balls are being hit, what weather, how many bp hits they are doing. I go back to a story a few years ago...parent was complaining
a bat broke. I finally got a pic from him. It was an endcap. I told him, no way a ball does that. he finally said his dd hit his garage door. BUT, he still
thinks it was the bats fault and shouldnt have broke. Funny how one person will have 3 bats break, and another will have no issues.
Also, these new bats, if you hit them too far up the handle, the connection takes quite a hit. So now mishits come into play that assist in
breaks. And then the final thought...bats come off an assembly line, there are going to be bad ones. Different composite thicknesses
in certain spots on a bat. Inside tech not securely in place...etc. Again, it is what is it.
Ok, one more point...we also have girls that have swung a 33/23 for 5 years. They were forced up to weight so fast, but yet parents
and hitting coaches think they stop getting stronger. I can bet you, many girls can swing heavier bats. So a lot are swinging bats not
geared for them. I mean heck, when Sprites were breaking so much. I had sooo many bigger girls buying 33/22 bats because
parents heard those -11 bats were thinner...hahaha. Then wonder why the bats arent holding up. But they were ok with it because she got 5
more feet...haha.

Now, slowpitch is a diff animal. Remember, way less mishits and every bat is assoc specific. Usssa bats are tanks and always have been.
ASA are a little less...but still made better. Remember, most sp bats START at 34/26...some are 34/24 or 34/25. So they are thicker, heavier
bats...and they arent hitting 60mph pitches.

Btw Lancer, this post again, wasnt geared at you. I have made these points 100 times in 100 threads. Im sure other people have said the same
stuff. Just figured I would go into my thoughts again :D

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
The biggest reason why bats are the way they are right now...100%

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Yep, we still have those Mako's and we did move on eventually and buy newer bats. But...they did perform very well for my DD's at the time!
I remember when you bought them...haha. I remember being completely honest with you when you bought...I said they are tanks and arent that
good out of the wrapper.

There were good after 10K hits :)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Again, you just said it and I dont know why its a shock to anybody. Bats have to be right on the performance limit at this point.
This comes with a downfall. It is what it is.
As I just said, When Easton had the Mako, nobody wanted it. Why...it took to long to break in. Heaven forbid...and girls hit bp anyway.
You add all the inner tech in these bats and the violent reaction a bat goes thru. You are going to have breaks.
And you act like bats are failing at 50%...no they arent. Bats have like a 4-8% breakage rate nowadays. Thats not bad really. You just hear
about it because one bat breaks, and that person is on fb and 10 forums complaining about it :)

Never understood it, parents want a bat little suzie can hit right out of the wrapper, but yet use that same bat to hit BP every day and complain
when it breaks. Which leads me to number 2....you have no idea what these people are doing that assists in some of the breakages.
You dont know what balls are being hit, what weather, how many bp hits they are doing. I go back to a story a few years ago...parent was complaining
a bat broke. I finally got a pic from him. It was an endcap. I told him, no way a ball does that. he finally said his dd hit his garage door. BUT, he still
thinks it was the bats fault and shouldnt have broke. Funny how one person will have 3 bats break, and another will have no issues.
Also, these new bats, if you hit them too far up the handle, the connection takes quite a hit. So now mishits come into play that assist in
breaks. And then the final thought...bats come off an assembly line, there are going to be bad ones. Different composite thicknesses
in certain spots on a bat. Inside tech not securely in place...etc. Again, it is what is it.
Ok, one more point...we also have girls that have swung a 33/23 for 5 years. They were forced up to weight so fast, but yet parents
and hitting coaches think they stop getting stronger. I can bet you, many girls can swing heavier bats. So a lot are swinging bats not
geared for them. I mean heck, when Sprites were breaking so much. I had sooo many bigger girls buying 33/22 bats because
parents heard those -11 bats were thinner...hahaha. Then wonder why the bats arent holding up. But they were ok with it because she got 5
more feet...haha.

Now, slowpitch is a diff animal. Remember, way less mishits and every bat is assoc specific. Usssa bats are tanks and always have been.
ASA are a little less...but still made better. Remember, most sp bats START at 34/26...some are 34/24 or 34/25. So they are thicker, heavier
bats...and they arent hitting 60mph pitches.

Btw Lancer, this post again, wasnt geared at you. I have made these points 100 times in 100 threads. Im sure other people have said the same
stuff. Just figured I would go into my thoughts again :D
Never really had issue with breakage over the years. DD had an LXT-2017. Coach was hitting infield and told her the bat is slightly disconnected9wobble) at the handle. She never would have noticed. Since we bought through the team, through a dealer we sent it back for a warranty replacement. Still in the garage. Last year DD found a Blue Ghost in a closet at the field (34 drop 9) and starting using it for BP and said it was the hottest bat she ever used. Then the bat got sharks teeth, but she still hit with at practice and it was still hot even with holes. I think it still might be alive somewhere.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yep, we still have those Mako's and we did move on eventually and buy newer bats. But...they did perform very well for my DD's at the time!
I bought one new when they were really cheap, Anna wouldn't give it the time of day! :rolleyes: I used it for infield and outfield practice, I really liked it but eventually gave it to some girl, on some team, in some galaxy far far away?

I just remembered, this Mako is the one I wrapped the barrel in masking tape and beat the crap out of it with a 2lb plastic dead blow hammer for about an hour, didn't have anything to lose.....and it made a huge difference right then!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I remember when you bought them...haha. I remember being completely honest with you when you bought...I said they are tanks and arent that
good out of the wrapper.

There were good after 10K hits :)
You are always giving me a hard time about our cold, snowy weather out here...well, there have been plenty of times when we've played "snowball" on the fields out here and used those bats.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad