college choice-softball coaching beliefs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
One thing I think we should keep in mind when we talk about "college coaches" is that they are not all the same in their approaches. Some want things done a particular way, others don't care how it gets done as long as it gets done. That said, some can recruit for top talent/athletic ability, others have to work with what they get.

For the student athlete, prioritize academics, not athletics. At least until there are at least a dozen pro teams and they're all paying good wages. There are plenty of stories of players working their way through travel ball and recruiting and all that only to go to college and not enjoying playing at that level. I've met some and their stories are eye-opening. But they liked the school and stayed even after they bailed on softball.

Your end game should be to find a career that you will enjoy for the next 40-50 years. It may or may not be what you majored in, but odds are at least some of the education will apply. The softball part you do for fun.

When I was in college I worked at the campus radio station. It was a nice break from my studies and a lot of fun. But it was nothing I planned to do for a living. If it had interfered with my getting a degree it would've been gone.

Oct 10, 2011
choices

A lot of great posts on this thread!
One thing that we noticed about the one school is that several of the Senior girls were there and talking to my DD. They were really getting emotional just talking about it being their last year there. They said they didn't want it to end. .. That says a lot to me about the program.

Apr 1, 2010
My DD, at 16 does not know what she wants to major in at college, but there is a chance she'll have to make a decision on which school to attend within the next few months.

Er...cross off months and replace it with days? Congrats to you and to her!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom