Coldweather & Composites

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Bat warmers are illegal. In cold weather do not leave your bat in the car trunk overnight. Bring it in the house, place it in a warm part of the house.

I would not own a bat warmer, much less say I use one if I did.

Legal in USSSA and that is where we use it, in the car and dugout only. But really, what is the difference if the bat spends and hour in the car on a cold morning warming up front?

Dec 11, 2010
Two suggestions here: keep practice balls, especially dimple balls in a warm place until practice. Dimple balls get very hard in cold temps and you will see the girls hit them differently. If you keep the balls inside, even if you use them outside, it takes a long time for them to get really cold and hard.

For this reason I wish tournament directors and umps and coaches would make an effort to keep game balls at room temp until use.

Second, keep bats inside the house. Put them in a warm place on way to practice or games, not in back of pickup or the trunk of car. Same reason as above. Lots of air trapped in a bat, if it's warm it stays warm for awhile. If it's cold it stays cold. I could give a long explanation of ice buildup on hollow plastic duck decoys floating on water in freezing temps and how that relates to softball bats but I'll spare you all the details!

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
I have that one myself

I does warm the bat, whether it affects performance or keeps it from breaking in sub 60 temps is not known to me. I can say that DD has not broken a bat when using the warmer. In fact she has never broken a bat, although she does have an Easton Synge with what looks like a hairline crack, so I am proud of her for that!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle