Coaches who never shut up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Depends on if it was positive reinforcement or constantly negative reinforcement. Players usually become better when they themselves want to become better not because they are just trying not to get yelled at IMHO.
Here is another perspective. Sometimes parents don't want to be the harsh parent. So they put their kids in situations to get that type of 'grit' from someone else.

👍 prefer positive

Last edited:
May 11, 2014
True point, but from a personal standpoint, I have a grandson whose coach taught that "grit" style. He went from being afraid of letting the coach, parents, teammates down to a player who doesn't care if he lets anybody down especially the coach. Constant negative reinforcement will produce negative players IMHO.

Jun 8, 2016
Mind my own business, not my problem. Isn’t like you were witnessing a child abduction.

Are you in Canada?
FYI, the bolded was not a shot at you @NBECoach I only asked because you kept saying U14 rather than 14U, which are two different age ranges I believe. The "UX" designation is used in Canada I believe.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I’ll just drop these links in here that I found very insightful and interesting regarding cues and feedback. Nick Winkelman also has some great YouTube videos on this subject. There is science and research on these topics. Always good to learn more as coaches and add to our toolbox

Nick Winkelman Language of Coaching Book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suggesting a book or video would be insulting to their over blown egos. Dont you realize they already KNOW IT ALL!
Maybe suggesting the check out DFP would be a little less intrusive. LOL

May 1, 2018
Honestly you said first year 12u having 4 coaches....... that's where it all starts. Half your teams parents are coaches, maybe one of them played outside of Little League. It's just a bunch of dads yelling at their daughters things they have heard other people say.
It's completely pointless.

Jun 27, 2021
Honestly you said first year 12u having 4 coaches....... that's where it all starts. Half your teams parents are coaches, maybe one of them played outside of Little League. It's just a bunch of dads yelling at their daughters things they have heard other people say.
It's completely pointless.
This message can't be lost on the issue.

Jul 14, 2018
I watched a first year U12 team finishing up their practice with AC1 hitting grounders, AC2 playing 1B, and AC3 stationed 20 feet behind AC 2.

AC2 was yelling to every kid fielding a grounder, to do this, not to do that, etc., etc…

What would you have done?

I’ve coached a ton of 10U and 12U teams at the rec and Allstar level, and that could very well have been one of my practices. At that age you spend 40 minutes or so doing drills to strengthen fundamentals. The last 15 minutes you challenge them to put it into a live situation. They’re not going to get it right away, so you call out some verbal cues that you used during drills. You can’t stop every time someone does something wrong. Keep it moving and give them another chance.

You did the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad