Coaches who never shut up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I did not want any adults yelling out to my DD when she was pitching especially me. Teammates can yell at her all they want.

She had a habit of making a lot of movement but not moving her wieght behind the pitching plate before the pitch. It took her a lot of effort and was kind of a magic trick.

One of the few times I talked to coach about SB was during a game when she was pitching so they could observe what I was talking about.

They watched and said your right, then started yelling out to DD. That was not my intention.

Learned to not mention anything to coaches during games.

Jan 31, 2011
I normally take a coach's side of things :). But, it sounds like the ACs really have no business coaching kids. I forget the stat, but like 50% of all kids quit sports by the time they get to HS because of situations like this. It sure doesn't sound like "grit" that is being developed. Its creating a hate for a game most kids love.

Absolutely, there are many different coaching styles. Its a good thing for sure. But, here is a litmus test... If you talked to your employees the way you talk to your athletes would it earn you a trip to HR? So why is it acceptable to scream and yell at your players?

My experience is if you show a kid how to perform a part of the game, it sinks in more than just telling (or yelling) it.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
You know that game you play when one person whispers something to another and then so on down the line and at the end the person tries to say what the original message was.................that's what these threads remind me of.

So because of the opinion of some person who happened to watch the last 15 minutes of a practice we are coming to the conclusion that these coaches have no business around kids, got it.

They all could be the greatest coaches or the worst coaches. None of us certainly know nor does the OP after watching 15 minutes of practice.

Unless I was belligerently screaming at children I would have a hard time if some random person came up to me or my players and critiqued my coaching style after watching the final 15 minutes of one practice. Probably best you kept quiet.

Jul 27, 2020
My favorite are the coaches who insist on saying something to the pitcher after every. single. pitch. Especially stuff like "just throw strikes", because it never occurred to the pitcher to try to throw strokes until the coach told her. Just shut up and let them pitch.

Amen. I can relate this this, probably one of the most frustrating thing to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I have no problem with constant chatter from coaches DURING PRACTICE as long as it is constructive ("back flat", "should be able to see ball and glove when fielding grounder ", etc., etc.) Is it necessary? Probably not but coaches have different personalities.

I try to keep talk to a minimum (I don't always succeed..) when I am hitting my kids groundballs but I probably do something more embarrassing. One time I was hitting my DS groundballs and my DD said "Dad, what are you doing with your feet after you hit the ball?" Come to find out I move my feet kind of like I would if I was fielding the ball myself, e.g. I will read the hops and then move them accordingly ( I mean I am not charging the ball or anything but you hopefully get the idea..). Amazingly it is harder to stop doing that than one would think... :oops:

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Here are some comments a coach made about trying to help another team. This situation could happen just about anywhere.

Screenshot_20220110-063217_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220110-063018_Chrome.jpg imagine this situation could happen to just about any coach. While trying to critique practice you are just watching, might be good to stop and reflect on situations you've encountered yourself while coaching.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Here are some comments a coach made about trying to help another team. This situation could happen just about anywhere.

View attachment 24839
View attachment 24840 imagine this situation could happen to just about any coach. Before trying to critique something you are just watching, might be nice to stop and reflect on situations you've encountered yourself while coaching.
Yeah lets not beat around the bush here, it was the same OP of this thread that wrote the above.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What do you do when after stopping practice and explaining the proper technique to a troubled player (step in, get low, bend knees, flat back, glove out) and the player responds, "I dont like to do it that way."
I have tried reasoning but realized that was a waste of my breath, so now without a word, I just blaze a pea shot right past her and holler, "next." The next player in line waiting for her rep steps in a little more focused on the instruction. I will hit her a candy hop and loudly compliment her on her technique.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
In 20 years of coaching/instructing I have NEVER EVER raised my voice at a player. When I stop practice it is to teach NOT YELL.

I have never said things as lacking in content as “You’ve got to make that play” to a player. I believe in teaching technique and skills. I’ve had plenty of kids and parents thank me for helping them/their daughter on my time for nothing. I’m still amazed how few coaches even care about skills. All they want are outs and wins, which is fine as long as you are ok with plays not made and wild throws.

The first team didn’t care at all about getting better. You have to want to get better. I am an instructor and not an AC. The HC handled the situation from what he saw, and asked me to return for another practice. Maybe their attitude has changed. We will see.

The 12U team I saw could be a lot better if they had coaches who cared about the importance of doing things right.

Look, I’ve been coaching and instructing going on 15 years. I learned the right way to play from my father who played minor league baseball for 3 years. Later, I had a mentor who helped me with learning the reasons behind technique and also taught me patience, that real change takes time. I spoke with him for dozens of hours about softball, and life. I loved those conversations. Then 1 day way too soon he died. I could never fill his shoes. But there is a little bit of him in me that want to help kids with softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802