Coaches who never shut up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I’ve coached a ton of 10U and 12U teams at the rec and Allstar level, and that could very well have been one of my practices. At that age you spend 40 minutes or so doing drills to strengthen fundamentals. The last 15 minutes you challenge them to put it into a live situation. They’re not going to get it right away, so you call out some verbal cues that you used during drills. You can’t stop every time someone does something wrong. Keep it moving and give them another chance.

You did the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using

I have no proof other than my eyes and ears that these kids have had little to no instruction on grounders.. Isn't it the coach's responsibility to see that something this basic is corrected rather then reinforced?

Jul 14, 2018
I have no proof other than my eyes and ears that these kids have had little to no instruction on grounders.. Isn't it the coach's responsibility to see that something this basic is corrected rather then reinforced?

First-year 12’s can look like that! Especially if they’ve been working on one aspect, let’s say getting their body in the right position to throw, then other things can break down. None of it is automatic yet. Watching it all come together (eventually) is the rewarding part of coaching.

That said, I’m sure Mike Candrea and Ralph Weekly didn’t get together to coach 12-year-olds in their retirement. It’s entirely possible that the coaches are as inept as you say.

You asked what others would do in the same situation. Same as you, nothing. It’s not the last time you’re going to see bad coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2020
Now you're just one coach criticizing another coach.
Grass must be greener on your field.

Mar 10, 2020
I’ve coached a ton of 10U and 12U teams at the rec and Allstar level, and that could very well have been one of my practices. At that age you spend 40 minutes or so doing drills to strengthen fundamentals.

The last 15 minutes you challenge them to put it into a live situation. They’re not going to get it right away, so you call out some verbal cues that you used during drills. You can’t stop every time someone does something wrong. Keep it moving and give them another chance.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
First-year 12’s can look like that! Especially if they’ve been working on one aspect, let’s say getting their body in the right position to throw, then other things can break down. None of it is automatic yet. Watching it all come together (eventually) is the rewarding part of coaching.

That said, I’m sure Mike Candrea and Ralph Weekly didn’t get together to coach 12-year-olds in their retirement. It’s entirely possible that the coaches are as inept as you say.

You asked what others would do in the same situation. Same as you, nothing. It’s not the last time you’re going to see bad coaching.

Aug 12, 2014
My favorite are the coaches who insist on saying something to the pitcher after every. single. pitch. Especially stuff like "just throw strikes", because it never occurred to the pitcher to try to throw strokes until the coach told her. Just shut up and let them pitch.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
My favorite are the coaches who insist on saying something to the pitcher after every. single. pitch. Especially stuff like "just throw strikes", because it never occurred to the pitcher to try to throw strokes until the coach told her. Just shut up and let them pitch.
My favorite Coaches nonsense to struggling pitchers - " Just play catch with (catchers name)" Is that code for throw it down the middle??

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

This drives me bananas. Usually comes from coaches who don’t understand the position.

If it’s worth saying then it requires a visit to the circle. Otherwise keep your mouth shut.

The only exception being the younger ages where a key word can help now and again. But even then, keep those to an absolute minimum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812