Coaches who never shut up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I arrived a bit early for a U14 TB indoor practice at a indoor facility yesterday and so I watched a first year U12 team finishing up their practice with AC1 hitting grounders, AC2 playing 1B, and AC3 stationed 20 feet behind AC 2. The HC who I happen to know, but just in passing was not present at the time.

AC2 was yelling to every kid fielding a grounder, to do this, not to do that, etc., etc. No mention/demonstration of footwork, or flat back, butt up, etc, etc.
None of the other coaches were any better. So now there are 3 AC's yelling that they need to do, or not do this and that. The correct thing would have been to stop practice and show them how to do it right. It sure seemed like AC2 decided everyone already knows how to field ground balls so get in line!!

The kids for the most part can't be blamed for tuning them out. How many "You gotta make that plays" can you hear? Throws were all over the place which only increased the volume of AC2. One of the girls came in to change gloves from her bag about 5 feet from me frustrated. I was really tempted to say something to help her but I didn't. Not my place, I thought.

What would you have done?

Aug 3, 2019
Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more common.

Increasing number of travel teams at the lower levels require more coaches, causing many inexperienced coaches to step in. Some of them will learn and work to get better as coaches and that’s a benefit to the sport. The ones who act like what you saw will have trouble attracting players and will eventually usually disappear.

I’m not sure what the proper thing to do is. I guess it depends on the dynamic and your relationship with the organization or the other coaches. If you know the head coach and he is solid, it might make sense to let him know what you observed so he can help the assistants get better.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Funny story. DD and coaches kid were playing 2nd at practice. About some age as yours. Listening to their remarks DD belonged in hall of fame, his DD on the other hand should be playing soccer.

After a while she turned on him and yelled something along the line JUST STOP IT I AM DOING AS GOOD AS SHE IS!

She shut him up for a little anyways.

14 they need to start standing up for themselves knowing you have their back

Mar 10, 2020
I arrived a bit early for a U14 TB indoor practice at a indoor facility yesterday and so I watched a first year U12 team finishing up their practice with AC1 hitting grounders, AC2 playing 1B, and AC3 stationed 20 feet behind AC 2. The HC who I happen to know, but just in passing was not present at the time.

AC2 was yelling to every kid fielding a grounder, to do this, not to do that, etc., etc. No mention/demonstration of footwork, or flat back, butt up, etc, etc.
None of the other coaches were any better. So now there are 3 AC's yelling that they need to do, or not do this and that. The correct thing would have been to stop practice and show them how to do it right. It sure seemed like AC2 decided everyone already knows how to field ground balls so get in line!!

The kids for the most part can't be blamed for tuning them out. How many "You gotta make that plays" can you hear? Throws were all over the place which only increased the volume of AC2. One of the girls came in to change gloves from her bag about 5 feet from me frustrated. I was really tempted to say something to help her but I didn't. Not my place, I thought.

Sounds like the coaches are on top of things.
The players have already been instructed on what they are supposed to do. Not a need to stop practice.
Time and place for everything. That's not your practice. It's not your time.

Jun 27, 2021
Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more common.

Increasing number of travel teams at the lower levels require more coaches, causing many inexperienced coaches to step in. Some of them will learn and work to get better as coaches and that’s a benefit to the sport. The ones who act like what you saw will have trouble attracting players and will eventually usually disappear.

I’m not sure what the proper thing to do is. I guess it depends on the dynamic and your relationship with the organization or the other coaches. If you know the head coach and he is solid, it might make sense to let him know what you observed so he can help the assistants get better.
Those teams typically take care of themselves. Sadly the honest truth is what you said "lower levels require more coaches, causing many inexperienced coaches to step in." Indoor facility, catchy name incorporating Elite does not mean you know how to coach. First mistake by the HC was allowing this type of coaching to lead when they are not there. Assistant coaches are a reflection of the HC and their philosophy.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Coaches were interactive and putting some razzle-dazzle into the workout.

From observing softball,
The most common factor I find is how diverse softball coaching and people/teams are.
View that as
There is more than one way to reach success.

As to coaching Styles.
Glad there is more than one cookie cutter type of coach.
Because there are different kinds of people there are different coaching Styles
it's a good thing!
People do what they want.

About the practice.
In that situation the coaches were running a practice and were keeping the energy going. It sounds like the players had some structure to the drill they were doing. Think it would be a negative assumption to say the coach had not already explained thoroughly how to field and throw. Or how to do the drill. There are plenty of times coaches have already gone over instruction where the players now have the responsibility to produce it.

Last edited:
May 11, 2014
Depends on if it was positive reinforcement or constantly negative reinforcement. Players usually become better when they themselves want to become better not because they are just trying not to get yelled at IMHO.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
One of the girls came in to change gloves from her bag about 5 feet from me frustrated.I was really tempted to say something to help her but I didn't. Not my place, I thought.

The player wanted to exchange her glove.
Okay no big deal.
Maybe she had a new glove she was breaking in?!

Okay so she was frustrated. Maybe she was frustrated because she thought she should have been doing better. can't read into frustration and automatically think it's what's in your own brain watching somebody else.

If you wanted to say something it's always nice to cheer out keep working hard good for you.

Had a student years ago who started crying in the middle of our lesson. I asked her why are you upset. And she said 'because I really really want to be able to do this drill'
I said 'good for you, you're frustrated because you care.'
She buckled down and accomplished the drill. Her goal was to be the first freshman to make the varsity team at her high school.
And... she did it!
Good job Becky still remember your effort
30 years later 💪🫀

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802