Coaches Refuse Team Picture

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
We played our sister team yesterday for the championship. They are considered the older 14U team but have yet to beat us. It was a nail biter of a game; final score 2-0. Luck happened to be on our side yesterday. :)

After the trophy presentation both teams are congratulating each other as most play together for school and the families know each other outside of softball. It was good to see the smiles, them recognizing each other for the efforts in the game, etc....
We get them all together for a picture with the coaches and their coaching staff refuses to come out of the dug out for the picture. I found this to be a bit rude and unsupportive of his team.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We get them all together for a picture with the coaches and their coaching staff refuses to come out of the dug out for the picture. I found this to be a bit rude and unsupportive of his team.

Hard to say. Probably needed to be there to get the vibe of it.

When you say 'we,' you mean your team orchestrated it? Their coaches might've thought it was rude for another team to rally their players for a picture without asking them first. I'm slow to judge how another team should act and feel after losing a championship game.

But as I said, I wasn't there, so I can't say. You might be right. I would just try to see it from their perspective, whatever perspective that was.

Jan 24, 2009
Some coaches prefer to make it 'all about the girls/players' and I can respect that they don't jump in on team photos unless specifically requested on occasion. Honestly, I have seen a lot of photos like the two team shot you describe and they seldom if ever have any coaches in that photo.

May 17, 2012
The only time I am taking photos after a tournament is if we place (usually first or second) high enough to get awards and I have to present them to my team or individual players.

You want organization team or group photos set it up through the week and not at a tournament. It has nothing to do with being a sore loser.

Jun 11, 2013
When you win it's easy to see all the smiles and think everything is OK, but for the losers it's a tough pill to swallow. If the other
coaches wouldn't come out and shake hands that's one thing, but if they did they did what then needed to do. I likely would do pictures although
I agree with the above poster that it's about the girls not me, but if the losing coach didn't want to do a picture I wouldn't hold it against him or her.

May 6, 2012
Texas
I cant be mad at them I mean as a coach I would not really want a group pic with a team I just played against in a championship game. I would allow my girls to do it but I would not. I would wait for my team to get together and if they wanted a pic of just me and my girls okay.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
They probably thought that you were crowing about beating them. I can just see the Facebook picture, now. "Here is our team and the 14yo team that they beat." So, maybe they had good reason.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
They had already presented the awards, plaques to all of the girls and team trophies. The team we played against is another team within the same organization. We asked them to join in the two team photo because we thought it was pretty cool that the last two teams standing were both representing the same organization going into the championship game both undefeated. It wasn't a professional team photo, just pics of the girls/coaches with the trophies. Actually the Facebook post gave many kudos to our other 14U team. They played an amazing game and didn't give us the win by any means. Our girls had to earn it. The tides could have turned at any moment and we all knew it. They have strong pitching and hitting and had more hits than we did during that game.
Thanks to everyone who responded. I knew I would get honest opinions and responses. I was feeling one way but it's good to hear different opinions so I can see the bigger picture and check myself.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I think I've probably been in maybe one team-with-trophy photo out of maybe the last 12-15 tourney wins. I just think these are about the girls and I respectfully let them have their moment. I would bet that is what the other coaches were doing here, as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207