Coach, do your pitchers wear masks?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
I personally think it should be a rule that everyone has to wear them. You don't see anyone playing football without one even though they did at one time, and nobody thinks that is stupid.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I'm all for masks if you choose to wear one.. Don't think it should be a rule.

Most of the high level pitchers on DD's teams use a mask. I'm glad they are afforded the choice.

None of the infielders do.

The bats for travel baseball and softball are nearly identical (1.15bpf and 1.20bpf, respectively). Wood bat performance (USA Bat and BBCOR, .5bpf for both) is only reserved for Little League, HS, and College. Pitching distances are either 46 or 50 feet for under 13yo then move back to 60' for 13+. Bat exit velocities are way higher for baseball. The two sports are very similar in reaction times for the hitter and for come backers to the pitchers and no one ever talks about mandating masks for baseball.

I say leave it as an option for players.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I started making everyone wear them at the HS level last year, with some exceptions (parents could opt out, for example). Pitchers didn't get that choice.

My dilemma is when the sun is positioned in a way where they need to wear a visor or sunglasses and the mask won't allow for it. So what's more dangerous, not wearing a mask but being able to see the ball or wearing the mask but having no idea where the ball is? I've thrown BP to our girls on those fields when the sun is in that position. It's terrifying how blind the sun leaves you.

I don't know what the right answer is there. I've yet to find a mask that can accommodate the visor. Sunglasses, maybe, but some players don't like them.
Sunglasses fit under just fine.

Aug 9, 2021
After a few grand in orthodontic work, not to mention what the damage would be with a come-backer to the face, DD will wear a mask while pitching and playing the corners. Simply foolish not to.

DS wears a hockey helmet/mask and a neck protector too.

But I also do not skimp on tires and brakes for my cars. LOL!

Jan 28, 2017
They have an award-winning pitcher who wears a fielding mask and their secondary pitcher also wears a mask.View attachment 26801
All I know is what was said. It could have been the assistant coach because I don't know anyone at VSU. My student wasn't at the camp for VSU anyway and the camp was at Gulf Coast in Panama City, FL.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...Can somebody give me ONE good reason to not wear a mask?
One coach I know who is a big baseball guy didn't like masks because when the girls wore them, their communication on the field dropped off.
Not saying I agree with his justification, but he is right about their communication level. It is tougher with something pressing against your jaw. I learned that umpiring; everything I said sounded like I was having a stroke.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13