Coach, do your pitchers wear masks?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
A softball is 30% heavier. Might want to check into some physics lessons.
I could have fun with this but I am afraid you might go punch an ump after I was through..

Instead I will ask a simple question. Would you rather be hit by a car going 0.5 mph or a NFL linebacker running full speed at you?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
Sunglasses fit under just fine.

Eyeglass wearing kids can't do that, unless they get prescription sunglasses. Both my girls have had transition lenses and they aren't all that great in direct sunlight. Neither of them has ever mentioned much about sun issues, but they don't play 1B. I was scared to death sometimes in my teenage 1B days.

Apr 14, 2022
I'm all for masks if you choose to wear one.. Don't think it should be a rule.

Most of the high level pitchers on DD's teams use a mask. I'm glad they are afforded the choice.

None of the infielders do.

The bats for travel baseball and softball are nearly identical (1.15bpf and 1.20bpf, respectively). Wood bat performance (USA Bat and BBCOR, .5bpf for both) is only reserved for Little League, HS, and College. Pitching distances are either 46 or 50 feet for under 13yo then move back to 60' for 13+. Bat exit velocities are way higher for baseball. The two sports are very similar in reaction times for the hitter and for come backers to the pitchers and no one ever talks about mandating masks for baseball.

I say leave it as an option for players.
A few reasons.
Softball reaction time is less. High end is .33 s for baseball .3s for softball.
Does not seem like much until you realize .15-.25 seconds to react. This means about 30% less time to move.

Softball pitcher is closer. 3-4 times Greater odds of being in the line of fire.

May 27, 2022
I could have fun with this but I am afraid you might go punch an ump after I was through..

Instead I will ask a simple question. Would you rather be hit by a car going 0.5 mph or a NFL linebacker running full speed at you?
Or to be more fair - a car at 20 mph or a linebacker at 24 mph...

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I started making everyone wear them at the HS level last year, with some exceptions (parents could opt out, for example). Pitchers didn't get that choice.

My dilemma is when the sun is positioned in a way where they need to wear a visor or sunglasses and the mask won't allow for it. So what's more dangerous, not wearing a mask but being able to see the ball or wearing the mask but having no idea where the ball is? I've thrown BP to our girls on those fields when the sun is in that position. It's terrifying how blind the sun leaves you.

I don't know what the right answer is there. I've yet to find a mask that can accommodate the visor. Sunglasses, maybe, but some players don't like them.

DD wears sunglasses under her mask all of the time. When she pitched she would wear mask and sunglasses. Now plays 1B for school ball and based on field position the sun is often in her eyes during the back half of the game. Even with sunglasses the sun always gets to a point where she can barely see the ball being thrown from SS.

I will agree, there isn't a mask that we've seen that allows a visor. DD has mentioned at times she'd prefer the visor over sun glasses.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs