Coach, do your pitchers wear masks?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
FSN sports science episode 7 tried to measure force of both. Jennie Finch broke the machine.
Mathematically I cannot figure out why. Both momentum and energy should be slightly higher for baseball.

Oct 16, 2019
My daughter plays 12u and wears a mask when playing on the infield (1B & 3B) - I require it but I think she is wise enough to realize it is smart to do, the smaller infield and playing the corners, the ball can come off the bat so quick and get to you quicker than baseball it seems to me. But when she is centerfield, it is her choice...sometimes she wears it and sometimes she forgets and it does not bother me, nor her.

May 27, 2022
FSN sports science episode 7 tried to measure force of both. Jennie Finch broke the machine.
Mathematically I cannot figure out why. Both momentum and energy should be slightly higher for baseball.

I was looking for that but thought it was ESPN...

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Yeah, I would think so. I've had some complain. Maybe they just don't want to wear the mask.
My daughter rocks one in center and wears sun glasses just fine, seen some rockets kick bad off the grass, and close potential dead zone collisions. She's confortable with it and doesn't even know it's there when playing.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
A few reasons.
Softball reaction time is less. High end is .33 s for baseball .3s for softball.
Does not seem like much until you realize .15-.25 seconds to react. This means about 30% less time to move.

Softball pitcher is closer. 3-4 times Greater odds of being in the line of fire.
Not sure that I'm understanding your math and logic here.

From release to crossing home plate, SB is quicker for the younger divisions, BB and SB are pretty much even for 18u and HS baseball. but quicker for baseball when speeds are 90+

Exit velos are significantly higher in baseball from 13yo and up. The pitcher in baseball has less time to react.

Anyway, back to that math you've got going on there. SB is no where near .3 seconds. .3 sec flight time for 38ft (assuming a SB pitcher throwing gas has a 5 ft stride) is an 86.4mph fastball.. More realistic times are .41sec. For younger divisions, both baseball and softball are about .5-.6 secs.

I also don't understand the 30% less time to react, there's not a 30% difference in flight time from pitcher to hitter and hitter to pitcher.. How can there be 30% less time???

Same with being closer and 3-4 times more likely to get hit??

Apr 14, 2022
Not sure that I'm understanding your math and logic here.

From release to crossing home plate, SB is quicker for the younger divisions, BB and SB are pretty much even for 18u and HS baseball. but quicker for baseball when speeds are 90+

Exit velos are significantly higher in baseball from 13yo and up. The pitcher in baseball has less time to react.

Anyway, back to that math you've got going on there. SB is no where near .3 seconds. .3 sec flight time for 38ft (assuming a SB pitcher throwing gas has a 5 ft stride) is an 86.4mph fastball.. More realistic times are .41sec. For younger divisions, both baseball and softball are about .5-.6 secs.

I also don't understand the 30% less time to react, there's not a 30% difference in flight time from pitcher to hitter and hitter to pitcher.. How can there be 30% less time???

Same with being closer and 3-4 times more likely to get hit??
80 mph exit velocity at 35.5’.
110 mph exit velocity baseball 53’
Kind of took elite to elite my 12 year old plant leg lands 5.5-6’ out add in th 18” at the plate you get 35.5.
It then takes about .2 seconds to react. Subtract that and that gives you time to move.
For the next if you put a plate directly in front of a tee it gets hit every time. Move it 10’ back it gets hit much less.
At 35.5’ a 6x8 inch square plus the added ball width you get 57 square inches. Project that back to 53’. You get 10.5x13.5 an area about 142’. Divide by 48 you get 3. So about 2/3 of the balls hitting a softball pitcher’s face would not hit a baseball pitchers face on the same line. Example a ball hit at 6 degrees 3’ high would be at 5’-6” to 5-10” at the softball pitcher. Would be 7.5’ high at 53’ just buzzing the baseball pitcher.
As far as reaction time from pitching a 72 mph pitch is something like 110 mph fastball in baseball.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
80 mph exit velocity at 35.5’.
110 mph exit velocity baseball 53’
Kind of took elite to elite my 12 year old plant leg lands 5.5-6’ out add in th 18” at the plate you get 35.5.
It then takes about .2 seconds to react. Subtract that and that gives you time to move.
For the next if you put a plate directly in front of a tee it gets hit every time. Move it 10’ back it gets hit much less.
At 35.5’ a 6x8 inch square plus the added ball width you get 57 square inches. Project that back to 53’. You get 10.5x13.5 an area about 142’. Divide by 48 you get 3. So about 2/3 of the balls hitting a softball pitcher’s face would not hit a baseball pitchers face on the same line. Example a ball hit at 6 degrees 3’ high would be at 5’-6” to 5-10” at the softball pitcher. Would be 7.5’ high at 53’ just buzzing the baseball pitcher.
As far as reaction time from pitching a 72 mph pitch is something like 110 mph fastball in baseball.
OK there..
I'll just put it out there that your exit velocities are a more than a little askew, I realize you're trying to support your view.

I do see what you are trying to do with the math but don't agree with the method or the numbers.

I'll leave it as agree to disagree!

Aug 25, 2019
Yeah, I would think so. I've had some complain. Maybe they just don't want to wear the mask.
do you feel if you have any liability if one of your pitchers ( high school?) Doesn't want to wear a mask then get seriously injured on a line drive to the face? You think your covered with "well, she didn't want to wear one and there's no rule for it"? I mean, she is a minor, and in the eyes of the law, they really don't know any better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand