Cleats – Worth Getting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has never worn cleats, not sure why. Probably be a hassle to find a pair that fits her properly but I am sure we could figure it out.

Unless something changes for the next few years the Teams she plays with do not allow metal cleats.

Do the plastic cleats make a difference? Is it worth getting her a pair?

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
If you are asking if rubber cleats are as good as metal, I would say no. I just had a student move from cleats to spikes and she is sorry that she didn't do it sooner.

Are you saying that your DD always wore tennis shoes?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Yep, always has worn tennis shoes.

seriously? wow, how does she not slip a few times a game on the clay infields?

At any rate metal spikes are awesome but seldom allowed in the leagues my DD plays in so we've always gone with plastic. If your league allows metal definetly worth it in my opinion. Plastic might not be as good as the metal ones but they are way better than tennis shoes. I've even used them myself in slow pitch leagues to keep from slipping. Helps a lot and wearing spikes at my age way better than pulling a groin muscle as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks

Softball is the only outside sport DD has ever played, never got around to finding her a pair.

The other thread about cleats got me thinking that maybe we should get her a pair.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Thanks

Softball is the only outside sport DD has ever played, never got around to finding her a pair.

The other thread about cleats got me thinking that maybe we should get her a pair.

If she balks a bit at the extra weight, look at soccer cleats. Usually much lighter. Plus I think the absence of a toe spike makes it easier for a young pitcher to transistion over to cleats.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
All the local rec leagues require the players wear cleats as
it is a safety issue as well as a performance perk. Metal cleats
grip better, especially on the very hard surfaces we see in the summer.
At USSA WS in Orlando last year, we played on a field that was
very hard, almost like concrete. My DD wished after that game that
metal was allowed in her division

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG