Catchers Cleats - spikes wearing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2022
Hi All, I did some research on here and I can't quite find the answer I'm looking for. Our DD has been the primary catcher for the various teams she has played on this past year (12U, Modified, LL). We bought her a pair of New Balance cleats which her wide feet loved but the spikes on the toes wore down to numbs just in the early season practices. She was wearing another pair of basic molded cleats (Mizzuno I think) and those toe spikes have also worn down. I realized recently it's because she's on her toes a lot catching. She's going into 14U next year and hopefully JV. I saw some of the posts about the Ringor cleats for the toe protection but our DD's problem is wearing down the spikes vs. toe protection. Since she's getting older does it make sense to get metal spikes?

Anybody have any experience with this?

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Hi All, I did some research on here and I can't quite find the answer I'm looking for. Our DD has been the primary catcher for the various teams she has played on this past year (12U, Modified, LL). We bought her a pair of New Balance cleats which her wide feet loved but the spikes on the toes wore down to numbs just in the early season practices. She was wearing another pair of basic molded cleats (Mizzuno I think) and those toe spikes have also worn down. I realized recently it's because she's on her toes a lot catching. She's going into 14U next year and hopefully JV. I saw some of the posts about the Ringor cleats for the toe protection but our DD's problem is wearing down the spikes vs. toe protection. Since she's getting older does it make sense to get metal spikes?

Anybody have any experience with this?
Since becoming a catcher, I've had this same problem. I had molded cleats before. They maybe comfortable...but the cleats themselves don't last for me. Metal cleats seem to last almost forever...especially Ringors. I love my Ringors. They're very comfortable and are built like tanks. Granted...they are heavier than most other brands of cleats...but well worth the money.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Feb 28, 2022
When a kid gets to 14U, it's a rite of passage buying metal spikes. The only time she'll wear molded rubber spikes is when a TD doesn't allow metal on turf field.

Got it, so are you saying typically the only time she won't be allowed to wear metal cleats is when it's on a turf field? So she'll need to pick turn cleats or molded plastic for those tournaments.

Thanks for the help!

Feb 28, 2022
Since becoming a catcher, I've had this same problem. I had molded cleats before. They maybe comfortable...but the cleats themselves don't last for me. Metal cleats seem to last almost forever...especially Ringors. I love my Ringors. They're very comfortable and are built like tanks. Granted...they are heavier than most other brands of cleats...but well worth the money.

Thank you for the help, I've read some of your other posts on cleats and I really appreciate your input. Part of the reason coaches like my DD is she is fast on the bases as well as behind the plate. Do you think the weight of the Ringors will be a hinderance? They aren't cheap but if it's worth the $ we'll try them.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Thank you for the help, I've read some of your other posts on cleats and I really appreciate your input. Part of the reason coaches like my DD is she is fast on the bases as well as behind the plate. Do you think the weight of the Ringors will be a hinderance? They aren't cheap but if it's worth the $ we'll try them.
Thank you for your compliments, Joe Bob. I do notice a little difference between wearing the Mizunos my college had required us to wear compared to Ringors. Ringors do weigh somewhat heavier. But...I don't notice an appreciable difference in speed. FWIW going from molded cleats to metal cleats will have a weight difference. IME the players I see wearing molded cleats are speedsters where fractions of ounces can mean fractions of seconds.

Feb 28, 2022
Thank you for your compliments, Joe Bob. I do notice a little difference between wearing the Mizunos my college had required us to wear compared to Ringors. Ringors do weigh somewhat heavier. But...I don't notice an appreciable difference in speed. FWIW going from molded cleats to metal cleats will have a weight difference. IME the players I see wearing molded cleats are speedsters where fractions of ounces can mean fractions of seconds.

Do you wear the Ringor pitching cleats?

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Do you wear the Ringor pitching cleats?
Yes, I wear the cleats with the pitchers toe. Here's the link to the ones I ordered recently...

From what I've seen and read online, they seem like a good set of cleats. They are also supposed to be lighter. I'm currently at my fiance's parents place outside of Washington DC but will be returning to the Philly suburbs, soon. But I've had good luck ordering cleats through Ringor. So I shouldn't have problems. I also ordered a pair of turf shoes in the same line so not to wear out my metal cleats. If it helps, I also ordered them in Royal Blue and White.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13