Changing Dynamics of HS Sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In the Lower Hudson Valley of New York her points may be quite valid. But as we know it is not one size fits all. You need to do what works for your kid.

Aug 26, 2015
My dd hit every goal she set for herself in HS. So therefore the path we took was a success. What we don't know is if we took a different path would she have exceeded her goals?

Yeah....I know. You're one of the success stories that us with young DDs need to read up on. Was just jerking your chain.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
But have we come excessively high-achievement, goal-oriented w/ our kids? To the point that this is how they value themselves, based purely on achievement? The story of the Ivy League cross country star who jumped to her death last year was pretty sobering about what's really important. She achieved all of her goals, but it didn't make her happy. Nowadays, it seems every kid is an 'aspiring' something, whether that's an athlete, an actor, a musician. They accomplish more than ever. They sacrifice and specialize to do it. Nothing wrong w/ aspiring and having goals. My daughter does all that. But I just think we all need to be careful when we glorify achievement over all else. There are high achievers who are unhappy and unpleasant to be around. Character and outlook on life are more important. I worry that more kids today define themselves purely by their achievements. It can be dangerous.

Aug 26, 2015
But have we come excessively high-achievement, goal-oriented w/ our kids? To the point that this is how they value themselves, based purely on achievement? The story of the Ivy League cross country star who jumped to her death last year was pretty sobering about what's really important. She achieved all of her goals, but it didn't make her happy. Nowadays, it seems every kid is an 'aspiring' something, whether that's an athlete, an actor, a musician. They accomplish more than ever. They sacrifice and specialize to do it. Nothing wrong w/ aspiring and having goals. My daughter does all that. But I just think we all need to be careful when we glorify achievement over all else. There are high achievers who are unhappy and unpleasant to be around. Character and outlook on life are more important. I worry that more kids today define themselves purely by their achievements. It can be dangerous.

It's definitely a fine line for sure.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
First thing I want to know is where are travel coaches working where they are paid "thousands and thousands of dollars?" Around here, the only people paid thousands and thousands of dollars to coach softball are high school coaches. There are definitely some coaches in some sports (not necessarily softball here) who agree to coach simply to earn more money. If they weren't paid they wouldn't do it. Others seem to do it for the ego trip, or so they can boss a bunch of kids around. Many of the most successful coaches do it for the love of the game, and because they love working with kids. They probably don't have too much trouble getting players to come out for their teams.

That aside, there is definitely more pressure on kids to specialize earlier. But there are more opportunities to benefit from it as well, and that's where the issue lies. Personally, I believe it's good for kids to play multiple sports - if they have interest in multiple sports. I do believe all the stuff about cross-training and not over-stressing muscles through too much repetition. And about not burning out mentally.

At the high school level, especially at the upper classman level, it does change for most if your plan is to continue playing in college. And that's the difference from the "good old days" to now.

Back when I was a youngster, you had to be pretty athletically gifted to think about playing in college. We didn't have all the training they have now, so it was easy for the cream to rise to the top. You either had it or you didn't. Now, if you weren't born with athletic gifts you can make up for it with great training and willingness to work. And there are more places to play now, so if you don't qualify for one of those top schools there are plenty of other options. More available money - whether as an actual athletic scholarship or an "academic" scholarship awarded because you can hit a softball pretty hard - changes the game as well.

It's highly unlikely we'll go back to the way things were once upon a time. The world has definitely changed.

Feb 3, 2011

"Don't audit life" is a philosophy I live by.....but I'd much rather a child seek to achieve in the classroom or on the field than to sit around measuring their worth based on the number of Instagram "likes" they received. Balance is essential to happiness, but we should encourage children to pursue their potential.

It's my opinion that the Parable of the Talents (Matthew 25) is good counsel:

“For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[a] and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13