Can pitching too fast too young make a kid more susceptible to injury?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Curious what your thoughts are on why only 1 stayed a total stud.

What I witness is that many girls simply don't put in the work. Under 10U, pitchers see improvement every week, every lesson. They go from a top speed of 42 to 43 to 44 to 45 practically overnight.

Then it all plateaus... improvements come very slowly, mph is added over months, not days/weeks. It's really hard, repetitive work. And the work is very small adjustments and takes amazing body awareness and control. It becomes a job. Keeping my DD motivated can sometimes be hard. I've kind of learned to not push much and hope her love of the game and competition keeps her driving and striving.
because there are not many “total studs”…😉

Nov 18, 2022
My DD is one of those you speak about. Finally getting her in regularly with a Rick Pauley instructor. Two in person lessons per month and 3-4 designed app based workouts per week.

The work is long and it takes determination to keep doing it. But she wants to and understands that to be better than everyone else, you have to outwork everyone else. She has the mindset, so all I can do is support her.

We do a lot of resistance band work for adding strength, stability and body control.

She is 9 and throws faster than the top level 11 year olds on the chart posted earlier. I will give her credit for a mature mental approach for her age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 15YO daughters saying is- every time I'm not working someone is passing me up- she works her butt off

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Curious what your thoughts are on why only 1 stayed a total stud.
Few things...
First she did not stop growing. She ended up just on 6' tall. I would say she was 5'5" or 5'6" in second year 10U.

Sone of it was genetics - both her parents were high level athletes - but I also think this gave the family experience on how to handle everything better than most. They made sure she got on a team with very good coaching who had shown he could develop players long term. A high level pitcher and good coaching meant the teams formed around her and another girl who also ended up as a D1 pitcher. The team name and org changed a few times - but the head coach and those two pitchers never did. Her skills coach was very good as well - same thing. Actually know what they were doing.

They also didn't blast the love of the game out of her - the teams she were on were always very good, but they didn't ramp up out of state travelling until 2nd year 14U (which was recruiting age art that time for her). Part of that is being in Florida you don't have to go anywhere for competition - it comes to you. It also meant they did take weekends off. They also played up age groups locally ALL the time instead of traveling far to play in their age group.

Also she LOVED the game. A lot of kids parents say their kids do, but then you look at the kid and you can't tell.

And yes, she put the work in.

Jun 18, 2023
Few things...
First she did not stop growing. She ended up just on 6' tall. I would say she was 5'5" or 5'6" in second year 10U.

4' 11" is 95th %tile for height for 10 year old girls (hell, 5' 6" is 75th % for full grown women), so that's gonna be a big help.

May 13, 2021
My DD is one of those you speak about. Finally getting her in regularly with a Rick Pauley instructor. Two in person lessons per month and 3-4 designed app based workouts per week.

The work is long and it takes determination to keep doing it. But she wants to and understands that to be better than everyone else, you have to outwork everyone else. She has the mindset, so all I can do is support her.

We do a lot of resistance band work for adding strength, stability and body control.

She is 9 and throws faster than the top level 11 year olds on the chart posted earlier. I will give her credit for a mature mental approach for her age.

My DD is at about that same speed, her age is first year 10u. She is a bigger than average girl for her age, but not nearly as big as some of the girls we see. Currently trying to get her change-up as accurate as her fastball. I am constantly trying to figure out that line between letting her practice and pitch enough to let her be the best she can be, without overuse. Always see those posts on here about girls really good in 10u then just falling off a cliff after that. Right now she would pitch everyday.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414