Can pitching too fast too young make a kid more susceptible to injury?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What would you classify as mid speed for 10U and 12U?
10U - Around 38-40mph is massively effective if they can hit spots
12U - mid-40's the same plus change speeds

I have seen high 50's in 10U from some big girls; insane to try to hit from 35'. For those who have got to college age, one of those girls in particular went on to be a SEC #1 pitcher and a total stud... the others never really got much faster or better. The rest played in college mainly in mid-D1 or D2 - some didn't even get past HS ball.

One really stands out to me - 5'8" in 10U.. and is 5'8" now and just graduated college. Gave up travel in 16U, played HS ball only. Never played in college. She loved dominating, but didn't love softball and when it came to put in the work, she just didn't want to... Which is more than OK btw. She is headed to a good Law School next semester.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We always liked facing speed pitchers who walked a lot of our batters. we made sure it became a mental game.
In middle school DD competed against a faster pitcher. DD was much more accurate, so she was typically more effective. Unfortunately most of the coaches looked at the faster kid as the shiny new toy.

As high school freshmen they both spent most of their time pitching JV. Again, the coach leaned toward the faster pitcher because of the potential. After she would walk several hitters and give up several runs, DD would come in to finish the game. Eventually, those starts went to DD including some tries with varsity.

By sophomore year, the fast pitcher quit softball completely... The combination of speed and accuracy (with movement) is extremely effective. Accuracy with average speed can be effective at times. Speed with no accuracy is almost never effective. How fast is a Corvette with an empty gas tank?

May 13, 2021
At that age, it's more about good mechanics than speed. There isn't a whole lot of stress on the arm until around 50MPH *IF* a kid is using good mechanics.

A 9YOA kid throwing 50MPH will most likely have terrible mechanics, and so is probably in danger of getting injured.
First time I can remember anyone on here say the girl that is throwing fast most likely has terrible mechanics. Usually is is jus the opposite, something like (Speed comes from good mechanics) is said often on here. Can you elaborate please.

Jun 8, 2016
Tendons typically take longer to adapt to external stimulus than muscles do. It’s why guys on gear tend to tear tendons. Just a thought towards the OT..

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
First time I can remember anyone on here say the girl that is throwing fast most likely has terrible mechanics. Usually is is jus the opposite, something like (Speed comes from good mechanics) is said often on here. Can you elaborate please.
I didn't say 50MPH was fast. It might be "fast" for 10U, but it's not for 12U and up. You can't find a 50MPH pitcher at 16U.

The easy way to teach a kid to throw 50MPH is to teach HE mechanics, close before release, drag the arm with the torso and have a 10 degree forward tilt. These pitchers are everywhere at 10U because they throw fast for 10U and they have decent control.

But those mechanics are a dead end. A girl gets a whole new body at 13YOA or so, including wider hips. When that happens, the kid's control goes down the tube and the speed never increases. And, once a kid learns to throw that way, it's almost impossible to teach IR.

May 13, 2021
I didn't say 50MPH was fast. It might be "fast" for 10U, but it's not for 12U and up. You can't find a 50MPH pitcher at 16U.

The easy way to teach a kid to throw 50MPH is to teach HE mechanics, close before release, drag the arm with the torso and have a 10 degree forward tilt. These pitchers are everywhere at 10U because they throw fast for 10U and they have decent control.

But those mechanics are a dead end. A girl gets a whole new body at 13YOA or so, including wider hips. When that happens, the kid's control goes down the tube and the speed never increases. And, once a kid learns to throw that way, it's almost impossible to teach IR.
I was assuming you were talking about bad mechanics using IR. I know you shouldn’t assume. Yea 50 is pretty close to top end speed in 10u.

Oct 4, 2018
10U - Around 38-40mph is massively effective if they can hit spots
12U - mid-40's the same plus change speeds

I have seen high 50's in 10U from some big girls; insane to try to hit from 35'. For those who have got to college age, one of those girls in particular went on to be a SEC #1 pitcher and a total stud... the others never really got much faster or better. The rest played in college mainly in mid-D1 or D2 - some didn't even get past HS ball.

One really stands out to me - 5'8" in 10U.. and is 5'8" now and just graduated college. Gave up travel in 16U, played HS ball only. Never played in college. She loved dominating, but didn't love softball and when it came to put in the work, she just didn't want to... Which is more than OK btw. She is headed to a good Law School next semester.

Curious what your thoughts are on why only 1 stayed a total stud.

What I witness is that many girls simply don't put in the work. Under 10U, pitchers see improvement every week, every lesson. They go from a top speed of 42 to 43 to 44 to 45 practically overnight.

Then it all plateaus... improvements come very slowly, mph is added over months, not days/weeks. It's really hard, repetitive work. And the work is very small adjustments and takes amazing body awareness and control. It becomes a job. Keeping my DD motivated can sometimes be hard. I've kind of learned to not push much and hope her love of the game and competition keeps her driving and striving.

Feb 3, 2023
Curious what your thoughts are on why only 1 stayed a total stud.

What I witness is that many girls simply don't put in the work. Under 10U, pitchers see improvement every week, every lesson. They go from a top speed of 42 to 43 to 44 to 45 practically overnight.

Then it all plateaus... improvements come very slowly, mph is added over months, not days/weeks. It's really hard, repetitive work. And the work is very small adjustments and takes amazing body awareness and control. It becomes a job. Keeping my DD motivated can sometimes be hard. I've kind of learned to not push much and hope her love of the game and competition keeps her driving and striving.

My DD is one of those you speak about. Finally getting her in regularly with a Rick Pauley instructor. Two in person lessons per month and 3-4 designed app based workouts per week.

The work is long and it takes determination to keep doing it. But she wants to and understands that to be better than everyone else, you have to outwork everyone else. She has the mindset, so all I can do is support her.

We do a lot of resistance band work for adding strength, stability and body control.

She is 9 and throws faster than the top level 11 year olds on the chart posted earlier. I will give her credit for a mature mental approach for her age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad