Can I get an explanation on "protecting the plate"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Van

May 1, 2016
Specifically, the term comes up a lot when the batter has two strikes, but google and youtube don't do a lot to explain what exactly is expected of a batter in this situation.

Moving in on the plate and swinging on anything that's near the strikezone?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Specifically, the term comes up a lot when the batter has two strikes, but google and youtube don't do a lot to explain what exactly is expected of a batter in this situation.

My opinion is that you split the grip 1" between hands, and just check swing. JMHO :cool:

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Its usally a verbal cue to make sure you aren't letting the third strike go by without a swing. Shortening swings, split grips, and other tools may be used but generally just a phrase to get your mindset focused.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not sure about moving in on the plate part.

In my mind your swing zone gets expanded a little bit. Anything close swing.

Also not a fan of shorting your swing, less stride, whatever.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Best at bat DD has ever had was a walk.

She could not catchup to the P's FB but kept fouling the balls off.

After about 15 pitches she was on 1st and stole 2nd on the next pitch.

P kept stairing at DD as her wheels came off. Opposing coach went out twice to try and settle her down, ended up having to pull her.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Protect the plate simply means that there are 2 strikes and that the batter will be out unless she prevents the next pitch from crossing the plate into the strike zone. Thus, protect it. There is no strategic implication beyond the idea that borderline pitches can no longer be taken, lest you be rung up.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've often thought 'protect the plate' is a distracting and insulting command unless you're dealing with inexperienced hitters.

But I suppose it's designed to encourage more than instruct, kinda like, 'OK, you've got 2 strikes, but you know what to do, you got this.' ...

There is a school of thought, however, that says leave the batter alone and allow her to zone in on the pitcher and not have to process Captain Obvious chit chat from the coach's box.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Last thing, is the batter can be looking for a FB on the outside. Leave it go if it is not what you were looking for strike 1 is fine.

With 2 strikes you lose the opportunity to be picky.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Personally, I don't particularly like this saying. I think it puts the batter in a defensive frame of mind. I much prefer them to stay in an offensive frame of mind and attack anything that's close. I also like my batters to expand from the strike zone to their hitting zone. We practice working on this so that each batter knows what that is. That said, just because they can get a bat on it doesn't mean they will swing if it's too far outside the umpires' strike zone for an obvious ball. Sometimes this has cost us but not often.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors