Can a coach tell a kid at a tryout they know she is trying out for other teams and name them?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IMO age makes a difference and that varies by player, joys of being a coach and a parent.

No issue with the coach, DD could stand up for herself. She also communicated, so if she was uncomfortable teams off the list. No hard feelings.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I have to be honest, I see this totally different. I would have taken this as a HUGE compliment. You showed up to a tryout and the coach knew everything about you and you haven't even played for this coach. Sounds like your daughter is very good and other coaches are talking about her. It was like he was letting her know that she is well known and is glad that she came to his tryout. I would have walked away from the tryout thinking this was a compliment to my daughter.

Maybe I'm wrong, but people need to stop thinking everyone is out to get them all the time.
I am thinking along these lines as well. The coach was trying to see where his teams could fall in the mix. If she plans on trying out for the Hittin' Kittens he might like his chances or that might tell him that his team might be above or below her caliber. He also knows when those teams are having tryouts and that will tell him when he could expect an answer if he gives her a roster spot. I don't see this as nefarious.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have to be honest, I see this totally different. I would have taken this as a HUGE compliment. You showed up to a tryout and the coach knew everything about you and you haven't even played for this coach. Sounds like your daughter is very good and other coaches are talking about her. It was like he was letting her know that she is well known and is glad that she came to his tryout. I would have walked away from the tryout thinking this was a compliment to my daughter.

Maybe I'm wrong, but people need to stop thinking everyone is out to get them all the time.

This was my thought, too.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Yeah I see it this way.
I guess he could have said" I hear (or I assume) your trying out for other teams ... I really like to have you on my team." OR "I heard you are trying out for other teams so why are you wasting my time coming here. You will never be on my team." Unless the guy is a total douche bag I think he meant it as semi compliment and showing that he is knowledgeable about the local fastpitch scene.

Jul 14, 2018
He is right about one, wrong about another…

This one line made me think the coach was just spitballing. He had no idea where else she tried out, he was just throwing out names, seeing if there was any recognition, to try and ascertain what level your DD was targeting.

Now, whether that’s a better approach than just asking is another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Where a player is trying out is none of that coach's business.

However, if offered a spot the night of the tryout the player better know if she wants to play for the coach or not.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014

DD showed up at a tryout and overheard a coach state "...there's your pitcher for next year." They obviously had done some homework and we had been in discussions with the head of the organization prior that we would be at their tryouts. We joined that org, but not that team. The previous coach, whom we told were uncommitted for the next year, didn't (couldn't) believe it. DD hadn't even tried out anywhere yet!

But being paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

May 26, 2021

Thanks I appreciate the different perspectives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
"Hey, Maddie. I'm Coach Eric. I'm really glad you came to check out our team today. I would bet you'll probably be going to tryouts for Batbusters and Firecrackers, as well. You're a good player, and I've enjoyed watching you play, even though you've always been in the other dugout. Well, I didn't enjoy it so much when you hit that walk-off bomb against us in Arizona last fall, but that was a great hit! We think you'd be a very good fit with what we are building here, and we hope you feel the same way. Whatever you decide, I hope you find the team that's right for you."

If the comments from the coach were something along those lines, I would have zero issues.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Where a player is trying out is none of that coach's business.

However, if offered a spot the night of the tryout the player better know if she wants to play for the coach or not.
I think it is the coach's business. What if the person trying out is simply trying to get in some work before a tryout for another team? How does a coach ascertain that. Also softball is a small world so he may want to know where the player fits on other teams? If on the coaches team the player may be the number one pitcher but on some other team they may be number three. The coach may have other players out competing for the same spot.

Recruiting is recruiting and there's always an attempt to make decisions with the best information possible.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog