Building a bullpen area

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
As soon as it stops raining and dries out some I am gong to start building a bullpen for DD. She developed a bad habit of walking off the mound recently and I believe it is due to pitching in the grass with nothing to push off from.

I received my mound and home plate in the mail this week. It would be great if some of you could share a bullpen area you built at home. Thanks so much!

Jul 17, 2012
Put a couple of inches of clay down, especially in front of the rubber and a along the drag foot path, or you'll forever be filling ruts and tamping it to try to compact it. Top dress it up with some infield mix and rake in some rock salt once in a while to prevent weeds from sprouting.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I guess it depends on how much time and money you want to spend, but in a perfect world, I would take some pressure treated 1"x6" and frame out a rectangle @ 5' x 10'. Works great if you dig out the 6" and recess it to ground level, but that is a lot of work. Put bricks in the bottom then a layer of mound clay on top. Get a tamping tool and a tarp you can use to cover it when not in use. Make sure the rubber is placed correctly to give yourself the proper throwing distance, and you need to be able to adjust the catching plate for 35', 40' and 43'.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
On the receiving end, make sure the plate is flush with the surrounding surface and the dirt groomed. Errant drop balls can take some nasty hops off uneven ground!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06