Turf shoe and Cleats wearing out too fast in the toe area!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
We always had a problem with DD's cleats/turf shoes wearing out prematurely in the toe/underside area. This is specifically due to her toe/foot dragging in fast pitch motion. I know there are pitching toe cleats, but some turf-only facilities don't allow steel toe or regular cleats. Further to this, we practice on her matt with turf shoes pretty much exclusively. The last pair of Nike turf shoes we recently purchased, started to fall apart in two weeks (pictured)!

Is there any way to protect the toe area to prolong the life of the shoes and decrease wear and tear?
What are your favorite cleats AND turf shoes with best toe/slide area of shoe protection?
Any hints, other than changing her drag style, are greatly appreciated!
I would love to not have to throw away a good chunk of change so often. I don't mind spending money on a decent pair of shoes that will last longer than 3 months.
Maybe my expectation on life expectancy of shoes for pitchers is off as well. Can you please share your thoughts on how long a pair of cleats and turf shoes should last?

Attachments

• shoe.jpg
    shoe.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 58
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I think most Play It Again Sports offer to do a “pitchers toe” protective dip. It’s $25(ish). You may have another sports store in your area that offers it.

There is also a similar product you can buy and do it on your own. It’s not hard. Both last a long time.

Edit: Tuff Toe is the product you can buy and do it yourself.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I’m sure Ringors are great. But it’s more important to find a shoe/cleat that fits her foot best. If Ringors can. Great. If not, get a pair that fit her correctly and then get the protective material added to the toe.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I second the Ringors. DD grew up playing in their cleats and has only worn out 1 pair in 12 years. Even now she'll practice in her Ringors instead of wearing her college team issued ones.

I also wear the men's turf shoes for coaching and I've found them to be very comfortable.

That said, I know they're not for everyone so here's another option which can be used on any cleat. Tuff Toe Pro Baseball/Softball Pitcher Toe Guard | eBay It also has worked well for some pitchers I know.

Aug 24, 2018
DD tried TuffToe and hated it. Said it changed the balance of the shoe and hurt her toe.

Bought 1st pair of Ringors and they lasted 3 years. They have a small tear in the pitching toe, but are still very usable

Jul 8, 2020
DD uses TuffToe and no issues. it doesn't last as long as Ringor from what the others are saying, but it works for her.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yep... Ringors turfs and cleats. Not cheap - but they go on sale about once a quarter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2