Big ball vs. small ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DWB

May 27, 2014
Question: my DD pitches 10u town travel. She's not professionally trained, she just works with me and is pretty effective thanks to the Hillhouse videos and her good work ethic. Since she plays town travel she also has to play in the rec league, and in that league they use the large ball at 40'. What's the thoughts on having her pitch with both balls in the same season, and from different distances? Does anyone have any experience with this? On the surface, the thought is not to have her do it, but might there be some benefits (ie. pitching with the long ball is like long-tossing?).

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
We had a similar situation last year...

My 10U team played up at 12U for a couple of months and was throwing from 40' with a 12" ball...

Adjusting back down to 35' and 11' ball wasn't that difficult.

That being said, we were not going back and forth all season. The distance isn't the problem IMO, it's the different sized softballs that may pose an issue with control...CP

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Not a problem.

My DD did this for most of a year and as long as she had a few minutes to warm up with the 'ball of the day' it didn't bother her at all.

If you search you will find multiple threads on this - the only people who are worried about this is us parents and coaches. It doesn't bother the players at all.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The distance never bothered DD, the ball size did. If she had a chance to warmup for 15 minutes she was fine with either.

Give her circle time, she will be better off.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I was worried about my DD throwing/pitching a 12" ball why we were still in 10u using a 11" ball. Finally one day after pitching practice I tossed her a 12" ball and said back up 5 '. It only took a couple of pitches and she was dialed in. Her drop was so much better with the bigger ball and extra distance. I stopped worrying about the bigger balls. I doubt your dd will have any issues.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Some kids struggle more than others due to their hand size.

FWIW our girls throw a 14" ball for warm ups often. They will go through each pitch about 5 times each(20-30 pitches total). Then they move back to the 12" ball. They complain non stop throwing the 14" ball, but love the ease of the 12" once they move back to it.

Maybe your DD will have a similar response to the 11" and 12" ball.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
My DD pitches 12U Rec ball and 10U All-Stars. Going back and forth is not a big issue. We practice primarily with the 12" ball, it only takes a solid warm up with the 11" ball to get her dialed back in. Feels like she's throwing a baseball, she loves it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06