Bench v. Field Pitch Calling - Case Study

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Situation: NCAA D3 post-season tournament team. Last year pitches were called by the Senior catcher. This year the pitches are called by the new Assistant Coach, who was last year's catcher. So the same person is calling the pitches, this year from the dugout bucket as opposed to behind the plate last year. Same primary pitcher, essentially the same support behind her (except for the C), and facing similar schedule/competition this year. In my estimation, the pitcher is slightly smarter and stronger and at least as good as she was last year, but I'd say that its a wash as the conference teams probably know her better this year than last. Primary pitcher's ERA this year is 2 runs/game higher than last year and Ks are down approx. 30%.

What's your explanation?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Best guess on my part would be the fact that the opposing teams found trends in the old catcher's pitch calling and are making good use of it this year. Everyone has trends whether they know it or not.

I would say half they know the pitcher better than last year and half the catcher isn't calling pitches from behind the plate. IMO not enough coaches will let go of the control to let their catchers call pitches even though the catcher has a way better view of where the hitter is setting up. My DD is a high school pitcher and her HC will throw 90% screwballs and you can stand behind the backstop and watch the hitters move away from the plate more after every pitch and then they tear the cover off the ball and my DD gets yelled at....go figure. When I coached albeit 12U at least the catcher and I would have a sign as to where the hitter is setting up and we would determine what pitch to call after she gave me the sign.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44