Being Pitched Inside and getting hit multiple times lately

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2014
My DD is a catcher, who also bats lead off some. She does crowd the plate sometimes, and gets hit a lot. To be honest, she doesn't try hard to get out of the way, just rolls with it. Between the beating she takes behind the plate, and at the plate, her nickname is "Bruise". She's happy to take the base however they are willing to give it to her. Then they courtesy run for her and she's back to the bench.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I personally think all batters should make every effort to get out of the way of an errant pitch. There is always the potential for injury.

I know one girl who broke her hand so badly from being hit by a pitch she can never play softball again. She plays hockey now. Much safer, I suppose.

My DD #3 once had a very scary moment in a friendly scrimmage, when she was hit near the knee by a pitch. An inch or two away, it could've done some real damage. As it was, she couldn't finish the game. Fortunately, she was running around again after the game. She was ready for another friendly game later, but lightning intervened.

To their credit, the pitcher, and both coaches for the other team, came over to DD's dugout to check on her, and I even got an email from one of the other team's coaches later in the day, making sure she was OK.

And yes, she was trying to get out of the way.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I personally think all batters should make every effort to get out of the way of an errant pitch. There is always the potential for injury.

I know one girl who broke her hand so badly from being hit by a pitch she can never play softball again. She plays hockey now. Much safer, I suppose.

My DD #3 once had a very scary moment in a friendly scrimmage, when she was hit near the knee by a pitch. An inch or two away, it could've done some real damage. As it was, she couldn't finish the game. Fortunately, she was running around again after the game. She was ready for another friendly game later, but lightning intervened.

To their credit, the pitcher, and both coaches for the other team, came over to DD's dugout to check on her, and I even got an email from one of the other team's coaches later in the day, making sure she was OK.

And yes, she was trying to get out of the way.

At the lower levels I would agree, but at the high levels the risk is minimal. Those who stand their ground in the box know how to take one for the team. I have seen my DD plunk hitters with pitches in the mid to high 60's only to have them laugh on the way to 1st base.

Oct 7, 2014
That is my concern.

The last ball that hit my daughter was high near her head.
She couldn't get out of the way and it hit her in the middle of her back slightly under her neck as she turned away.
Probably wasn't intentional but if these kids don't have the best control at this age, don't you think they shouldn't be pitching high and tight to a batter?
Maybe being overprotective since it is my kid.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That is my concern.

The last ball that hit my daughter was high near her head.
She couldn't get out of the way and it hit her in the middle of her back slightly under her neck as she turned away.
Probably wasn't intentional but if these kids don't have the best control at this age, don't you think they shouldn't be pitching high and tight to a batter?
Maybe being overprotective since it is my kid.

And how much coaching has she received regarding how to get hit by a pitch without getting hurt? For most players it is none. More often than not players get injured by trying to get out of the way instead of taking the hit and protecting themselves from injury.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Learning how to get hit without injury is important, I agree. In the situation I mentioned earlier, DD #3 was taught to at least turn away to minimize the damage to the batter. That may be why DD was hit on the side of the knee, rather than full on at the knee cap.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IMO the pitcher can try to pitch the ball anywhere they want, they better not be trying to intentionally to hit anyone though.

You are not going to be able to control the pitchers, only your DD. Have her back up a little bit if it is a concern. Then she might see a lot of outside pitches again.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Learning how to get hit without injury is important, I agree. In the situation I mentioned earlier, DD #3 was taught to at least turn away to minimize the damage to the batter. That may be why DD was hit on the side of the knee, rather than full on at the knee cap.

Turn away or turn in? Turning in protects you while turning away exposes you.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Weird things can happen with younger pitchers who don't have the greatest control.

True story:

One spring DD #1 was playing 14U rec ball, and DD #3 was playing 10U rec ball. Sometimes they played at the same time, so in those cases DW watched DD #1, since 14U games are more fun to watch. Not too bad if they were both playing at the same place, but,

One day DD #1 was playing a DH in a town SE of here, while DD #3 was playing in a town SW of here. I watched DD #3, while DW watched DD #1.

DD #3 was hit in the back by a pitch. Later, she was on third, with the bases loaded, and the pitcher hit the batter. DD #3 scored. At 10U the girls play a different position every inning, and the next inning DD #3 took her turn at 3B.

Less than 5 minutes later, I get a text from DW.

DD #1 was hit by a pitch. Later, she was on third, with the bases loaded, and the pitcher hit the batter. DD #1 scored. The next inning, DD #1 took her usual position, 3B.

When they got home, they compared the marks left by the balls. They were hit in almost exactly the same spot on their backs, maybe an inch or two difference.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Turn away or turn in? Turning in protects you while turning away exposes you.

I think she turned in. Thanks for the clarification. I never played or coached competitive softball, but her coaches told her she did exactly what she was trained to do, which probably minimized injury.

Sorry for the confusion. I was probably the worst BB and SB player who ever played the game. Everything I know I learned from my kids' teams. I honestly didn't know the difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom