Bat Shaking/Wavy distraction Bush League or Legit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Our coach sometimes has the players wave the bat in front of catcher to distract catcher and pitcher.
This is 8th grade Little League Juniors.

I find this to be a Bush League move .... especially since we typically mercy every team we play ...
But regardless I wouldn't chose this approach.

Another bothersome tactic is to bump a field player while baserunning (intentionally) and throw hands in air pretending interference. One player actually shoved the 1st baseman while running for a HR in a Middle School game. Different coach.

I'm the Assist on the LL team and am seriously considering telling thecoach that I won't allow my daughter to do either of these .... My DD does not want to do either of these "moves" ...

I can't do much about the Bully on the Middle School team ... always doing something to a player on the opposing team but nothing done as she is "the star".

The teams we play against in Middle School and Juniors are not that strong (two exceptions) and pulling that crap doesn't sit well with me anyway ...

Any thoughts?

Oct 18, 2009
Bush League. I dont see bat waving for distraction at the professional or college level. There is no need to teach that in the youth game.

May 5, 2010
The bat waving is just always kind of funny. All it is doing is helping the catcher become better at focusing. I would be embarrassed as a player to do it. I put it up there with the catcher always chasing the runner back instead of firing the ball. Give me a bad throw over that any day. You learn by doing, not pretending. At 8th grade, both teams should be taught to see the humor in it if it bothers them.

Regarding the bases - If that is what it takes to get my girls to realize that they don't own the base's without the ball, then so be it. Hopefully they aren't rough about it. And hopefully there are some girls learning how better to play the bases.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
1st baseman was 5 feet off bag and not in path of runner ... runner went out of her way to shove fielder ...
took out a catcher in another...catcher standing about 8 inces in front of plate (towards mound) waiting for throw ...this kid drags her foot and kick the catchers feet out from under her ... there way no play at the plate, either .

Bully at school too ...

Some kids!

i havent seen that tactic as often in older age levels. 3-0 counts is where it mostly occurs. Very cheezy IMO. I've seen some pitchers throw chin music in an attempt to teach.

Another what i consider "dirty play" is a batter shows bunt, drawing the corners in, pull back and swing. Seen too many kids get hammered. I wish a rule could be made to ban both.
Unfortunately the "win at any cost" mentality of inexpierienced desprate coaches prevail.

Aug 25, 2009
virginia
Another what i consider "dirty play" is a batter shows bunt, drawing the corners in, pull back and swing. Seen too many kids get hammered. I wish a rule could be made to ban both.

What is wrong with that? I use this strategy to move runners all the time. If your concerned for their safety don't bring them in. Then we'll bunt. Part of the game.

Aug 2, 2008
dpett
Originally Posted by D.G. OutLaws 16u
What is wrong with that? I use this strategy to move runners all the time. If your concerned for their safety don't bring them in. Then we'll bunt. Part of the game.

Agreed, teach your corners better. They need to learn at an early age to read the batter in regards to where the pitcher is in her motion, there is a certain point the batter cannot recoil and hit the ball with much intensity.

As for the OP. IMO its nothing to be concerned about, pitchers must learn to pitch amid much distraction. One of our takes it to show bunt with no attempt to bunt at all. It gives a look at what the defense might do when we bunt and helps in moving runners by moving the defense out of position.

Bush league is blaming the other team for your mistakes.

Mike

Dec 15, 2009
Unfortunately the "win at any cost" mentality of inexpierienced desprate coaches prevail.[/QUOTE]

i don't see this as a dirty play. as dpett said, it moves the runners and the corners should be taught better. I doubt ASA will ban this but leagues might, which IMO is just stupid. What if a team from a league that has banned this goes into a tournament or something? This play is used there. I've seen it many times. And if your team doesn't use this tatic, then make sure they are aware that it can happen. If they dont' know that it could happen, something very dangerous will happen. But if the girl knows its a possibility, then its still dangerous, but she should know better.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Agree with softball_chic_12--I am famous for my bunting. In a game against a team a few weeks ago, the ENTIRE infield came in when I stepped up to bat hollering about bunt. This was after I had laid down two bunts and crushed a ball into the outfield. They know I can hit, why they thought the ENTIRE infield should come in I don't know. So, I did what we call a "right handed slap". Show bunt, pull back, swing away. I think they took the hint after that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG