Can't Choose Softball or Theatre

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2022
warning: long post lol and lowkey vent

So, I have a pretty packed schedule. I'm a Sophmore in hs and the year has just begun a few weeks ago. Fallball try-outs are next week and I
m planning on trying out. For Winter, I have wrestling. It's a lot but I can balance softball and wrestling with some minor overlap I can handle. However for the spring season, my school is playing the production of Into the Woods for our yearly Spring musical. I assume a lot of yall on this form aren't familiar with theatre, so let me tell you.

This musical is pretty big, it has a big budget (very unusual for my poor rear theatre) and huge production that needs a talented cast. I realllyyyy want one of the lead roles as Little Red Riding Hood. Performing arts and music was a big part of my time when I was younger. I was in my elementary school choir for 4 years and had two solos, one at a competition and one at a basketball game. I was talented, but when middle school came around I stopped singing. Now I want to get back into my love for musical theatre and singing, being in front of all those people just telling a story with my vocals. But I want to try-out for softball just as much as I want to audition for theatre.

I started softball late. Just last year as a Freshman was when I started playing. I didn't make the hs JV team but I didn't give up. I still wanted to play so I played in a recreational league. And as of now - I'm going to try-out for my school's fallball program. I really like softball, the game is so exciting to me. And I love telling people I play a sport. Another major part of it too is how much money my parents have already spent on softball. My bat, gloves, catcher gear, all this training equipment and game stuff - it is NOT cheap, I'm sure you all know. My mom works two jobs and my dad recently got a really good job. So I feel like for me to prioritize other extra-curriculars over softball would be unfair to them. Also, now that I'm in high school, I feel like this is the most time I can have fun playing the sport. I want to play club softball in college, but I want to make the most of my opportunities right now.

I'm just so torn over what to choose. I know spring is a bit far away, but I need to make the choice now. I don't know which one to choose and it really sucks. I cannot balance the two at once, so it's one or the other. Honestly, I just wanted to share it with someone, it's been eating at my mind since school started. What do you guys think I should do? (And don't say do what you want. because honestly, i don't know what i want!)

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not your parent, but I'm a parent.

While there is always a bit of chafe and frustration when you buy stuff and the kid changes hobbies/interests, seeing our child happy is by far the number one priority. Honestly, it's the only priority (outside of health, perhaps).

If you tell them your dilemma, and speak from your heart, they will love and respect you and your choice.

Sorry you have to choose. My older daughter did as well. She had to put softball on the back-burner and quit travel in order to pursue activities that she loved just a bit more than softball.

Oct 4, 2018
The other item to consider (which it appears you have) is sometimes that choice gets made for you. Perhaps you don't get the lead role, or don't make the team. Try to keep both options open as long as you can.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You are a little old to be making these decisions. Equipment will sort itself out.

Pick.

DD choose SB, DD's friend picked theater which we go to and enjoy.

May 27, 2022
My youngest was in a similar situation. She is very talented at both. She was able to balance both, but it was a challenge and I can fully appreciate that her options aren't available for everyone.

Some things to consider:
- Can you still play spring ball AND do the musical. My daughter missed at least half her SB team practices, but we always made them up on our own and she was able to play well on the weekends.
- Can you play fall ball and not spring ball?
- Is there another community play you could do that is more compatible with softball? Or vice-versa?
- Will either one play into your career choice?
- Even a college club team is very competitive.
- Music will be more subjective than sports. Scores for sports are based on overcoming - scores in music are based on comparing (eye of the beholder). In sports, you will know why you failed - in music, it might not be anything you can control (or understand) as to why you fail.
- I think that softball will require more time throughout the year than music will
- Softball is more compatible with wrestling - both need you to be in shape and that's hard to do when you're not involved.

If/when making your decision
- On any give day - would you rather be on stage or on the diamond?
- Where are most of your friends (At the end of the day, the types of people you will be around is important)
- How many performances will you have in the musical versus how many games with your team?
- What do you think you will still want to be doing in 5/6/7 years?
- What challenge (music or softball) would you rather be working on on a free Saturday?
- In 3 years, would you rather be known for your softball skills or music skills?
- Are you better at practicing on your own (like music requires) or at practicing with a team AND your parents (as softball requires)

IMO
- Both can provide a sense of team, effort, and reward. As you develop your skills, Softball has more ups and downs / Music is more of a gradual crescendo.
- Both can provide exhilarating feelings when you perform well.
- Both can be used after your done with school & Both can be beautiful to watch.
- There is something special about a really talented musician, but it is an obscene amount of effort to get to that level and the process is very subjective. You are hoping someone recognizes your ability.
- There is something physically and mentally challenging about softball that, IMO, provides more opportunities to develop yourself for your future. And, your performance is more objective - you know when you get a hit or an out.

At the end of it, I'm glad my daughter worked on music and got the recognition she did, but I felt better about her preparation for life with the softball challenges she overcame. (you are on a softball forum - my bias shouldn't be a surprise)

Sounds like you will have to compromise. If/when you do, don't look back. Jump into the one you pick with both feet and make the most of it.

May 16, 2019
If the decision was between travel ball and a heart transplant it would have to be TB but High School administrators like their kids to experience all that high school has to offer. Lots of good advice especially involving the teachers and coaches to help you with navigating things. Over the years I've had several kids with other commitments besides softball. If you school is like mine catchers are in short supply and a premium. That should be a plus in your favor. Offer to help catch a bullpen as your schedule allows. Good luck

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
warning: long post lol and lowkey vent

So, I have a pretty packed schedule. I'm a Sophmore in hs and the year has just begun a few weeks ago. Fallball try-outs are next week and I
m planning on trying out. For Winter, I have wrestling. It's a lot but I can balance softball and wrestling with some minor overlap I can handle. However for the spring season, my school is playing the production of Into the Woods for our yearly Spring musical. I assume a lot of yall on this form aren't familiar with theatre, so let me tell you.

This musical is pretty big, it has a big budget (very unusual for my poor rear theatre) and huge production that needs a talented cast. I realllyyyy want one of the lead roles as Little Red Riding Hood. Performing arts and music was a big part of my time when I was younger. I was in my elementary school choir for 4 years and had two solos, one at a competition and one at a basketball game. I was talented, but when middle school came around I stopped singing. Now I want to get back into my love for musical theatre and singing, being in front of all those people just telling a story with my vocals. But I want to try-out for softball just as much as I want to audition for theatre.

I started softball late. Just last year as a Freshman was when I started playing. I didn't make the hs JV team but I didn't give up. I still wanted to play so I played in a recreational league. And as of now - I'm going to try-out for my school's fallball program. I really like softball, the game is so exciting to me. And I love telling people I play a sport. Another major part of it too is how much money my parents have already spent on softball. My bat, gloves, catcher gear, all this training equipment and game stuff - it is NOT cheap, I'm sure you all know. My mom works two jobs and my dad recently got a really good job. So I feel like for me to prioritize other extra-curriculars over softball would be unfair to them. Also, now that I'm in high school, I feel like this is the most time I can have fun playing the sport. I want to play club softball in college, but I want to make the most of my opportunities right now.

I'm just so torn over what to choose. I know spring is a bit far away, but I need to make the choice now. I don't know which one to choose and it really sucks. I cannot balance the two at once, so it's one or the other. Honestly, I just wanted to share it with someone, it's been eating at my mind since school started. What do you guys think I should do? (And don't say do what you want. because honestly, i don't know what i want!)
Nice to have choices.

Since you have to try out for the role of Little Red Riding Hood thinking it through how would you feel if you didn't get that role and already decided not to play softball?

Would you be okay doing theater if you didn't get the lead role but some supporting part?

I did theater for the Huntington Beach Civic Playhouse and Costa Mesa Playhouse. Not school. After I went to Long Beach State and played there and Coach there, later I signed up at Community College just to do theater.
We did Fahrenheit 451.
Could still do theater if I was interested in it. But not really going to be able to get out on the softball field to run and Sprint at this point 😁

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles