base running times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
That's good to know. She definitely has improved in her running technique and has been working hard on healthier eating habits, but the holidays are tough for everyone!

Feb 9, 2011
Maybe this question can't be answered, but is it realistic for my daughter to get her time from 3.3/3.4 to 3.0 over the next couple years? That's her goal...she goes to a trainer and is planning on trimming down 10-15 lbs (doctor said it would be good for her).

It is very realistic, my DD indoors was at 3.36 just four months ago, as Amy said it has alot to do with technique time changed dramaticaly getting hands going cheek to cheek instead of shoulder to shoulder across the body. Also other tips she has gotten have to do with placing power leg forward on the start, and proper feet spacing, and taking a complete stride.

A good speed and agility trainer goes a long way, hers spend lots of tread mill till and videoing to show her what to correct.

Oct 3, 2019
I couldn't find it on search for this age...Does anyone have base running times for the 14u age group? I know it was touched on in the slap hitting section, but I wanted a little more as far as Home to first, Home to second Home etc... She really wants to bring her time down, which is 3.3 home to first, with the occasional 3.2. I'm not sure of her other times though. A few of the girls on her team blow by her in sprints, but she narrows the gap as the distance grows longer. She does outweigh a couple of them by a good 50 pounds though. Thanks!

I found this info for the BATS testing system. It doesn't state results for 14U specifically but, it does address averages for high school in the 20yd dash.

6. Speed measured by the 20-yard dash
Start in a base-stealing stance. Shoulders should be perpendicular to the starting line. Athletes may step on or touch the starting line. The clock will start with the first
movement after the set position. Athletes should run through the finish line. The clock stops when the athlete’s chest crosses the finish line. Average 20-yard dash time for high school softball is approximately 3.5 seconds; NCAA softball is approximately 3.1 seconds.

Mar 26, 2016
Maybe this question can't be answered, but is it realistic for my daughter to get her time from 3.3/3.4 to 3.0 over the next couple years? That's her goal...she goes to a trainer and is planning on trimming down 10-15 lbs (doctor said it would be good for her).

totally realistic, without having to loss weight, first would work on running form, just like hitting and pitching there is mechanics to running.

Getting into some sort of fitness will help as well. Lifting weights would be the biggest helper with becoming bigger, faster, stronger. Specifically squats, deadlifts, and cleans. Also, running sprints helps my daughter runs 15 minutes, sprints 1 minutes walks a minute when doing this focusing on good running form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardSwinson